38 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 21 October 2012 CE
Oct 22, 2012, 21:45
Robot Emperor wrote:
IanB wrote:
I am holding some money back for the expanded of Rainbow "On Stage" (!). I think I might have the extra tracks on bootlegs but if they are cleaned up and mixed then it'll be worth it.

What the world needs is a cleaned up and mixed Live In Germany...

Jesus... sorry but, according to Wiki, "a remixed 6CD box set - Deutschland Tournee 1976 - featuring three of the four German dates recorded in 1976 was released in Japan in 2006, with each concert being released as a separate 2CD package in Europe through the year", Oh - news to me. I'm such a fairweather fan, not there for the long haul.

6 cds of Rainbow live... Makes me question - errr everything really. I love On Stage and (slightly more) Live in Germany but... come on!

& this from 77
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-In-Munich-77-Rainbow/dp/B000FG69JK/ref=sr_1_26?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1332577185&sr=1-26

ref the Germany 76 sets, according to some guy on amazon
fom here
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Dusseldorf-Phillipshalle-27-9-76-Rainbow/dp/B000JKA44I/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1350938292&sr=1-2

There are three different concerts from the 1976 Germany tour available on CD:

September 25, 1976: Cologne
September 27, 1976: Dusseldorf
September 28, 1976: Nuremberg

All of these have something to offer for the dedicated fan.

With regards to sound quality, I would rate the Dusseldorf show overall the highest (the mix is quite clear), followed closely by Nuremberg (the mix is a little less clear, but overall the sound is warm and powerful). The recording from Cologne has a lower sound quality in my opinion. It is nice to see that during the remastering, the original dynamics were left intact on these releases (i.e. no dynamic compression was applied during mastering, at least not that I can tell).

By the way, the sound quality of these releases is much better than the previous 2-Set "Live in Germany 1976" which compiled songs from various shows in Germany.

With regards to song line-up, the Dusseldorf show does not feature any encore, so it ends with "Still I'm Sad". The other two shows feature "Do You Close Your Eyes" as an encore. During this song, Ritchie Blackmore often smashed his guitar, which is also the case on the Cologne show. That might be (or not) exciting on video or when you are at the concert, but for an audio CD, this is pretty pointless in my opinion. The encore "Do You Close Your Eyes" on the Nuremberg show is without the smashing of the guitar, just the song in a slightly extended version (around 6 minutes or so). I find this version (on Nuremberg) much better than the one on the Cologne show.

If you only want to get one of these shows, I recommend to get the Nuremberg one because it has the encore (w/o smashing of the guitar) and nice sound quality. If a clear mix is your top priority, I recommend the Dusseldorf show. Only get the Cologne show if you really want to have all three different versions (but in that case you might want to find the Japanese box set anyway).

must admit I've had my eye on these 2 for a while, the 77 set is astounding, I'm waiting for a decent Bonnet live set and then I'll have a big Rainbow splurge
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index