38 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 21 October 2012 CE
Oct 21, 2012, 14:29
Thin Lizzy – s/t
Morton Fldman – Rothko Chapel
Kronos Quartet – Morton Feldman Piano & String Quartet this is beautiful, only problem is finding a spare 80 mins of peace to enjoy it fully as it’s not really suitable as anything but a serious listen, the thought of the 5 hour String Quartet II is filling me with wonder & dread in equal measure[just googled it http://www.moderecords.com/catalog/112feldman.html 6 hours 7 minutes and 7 seconds , hmmmmm might have to wait til I retire to find time for that one]
J Cope – Woden 15 minutes of genius with a lot of padding, meditational descent into hell it’s not, long quiet walk to a nice field of flowers would be more apt
Fear Falls Burning & Birchville Cat Motel everything Woden isn’t
GYBE – Don’t Bend Ascend, F#a#**[or whatever it’s called, the first one with Dead Flag blues on it] plus the live download of the recent show . Don’t Bend Ascend is CD of the year, knocks Swans into 2nd place, never expected GYBE to record again, when I heard they were I certainly didn’t expect it to match the previous cds all of which are excellent IMHO they have never put a foot wrong, and the live show is stunning link http://archive.org/details/GodspeedYouBlackEmperor
Swans – The Seer exceptional , 2012 is shaping up as a classic year for new releases, unfortunately they by bands from the last century, obviously I’m getting old
Angels of light – We Are Him
Nuerosis & Jarboe – s/t
Thomas Koner – Teimo
Virgin Prunes – Over The Rainbow
Bangles – All Over The Place
Voice of the Beehive – various 12” singles these and the Bangles are rather good, wondered what happened to them
Wishbone Ash – Live Dates ,Live Dates II
Magnum – Long Days ,Black Nights 3 cd best of –makes it pretty obvious why Magnum never made it big, even cherry picking the best still leaves a lot of driftwood, the early tracks have some suitably Queenly pomp and the singer sounds far happier with matters of mages, wizards, castles and sages than he does with anything involving reality. They have a drummer called Kex Goran which is a big plus in my book
Marillion – Live Bootleg 2 featuring Marillion without Fish, very enjoyable if you like that kind of thing, certainly made me want to investigate the studio version of Brave, surprised at the choice of Fish material , someone [possibly Steve Hogarth as he has too sing it ] seems very keen on Clutching At Straws
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index