IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 30, 2011, 09:50
Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 25/03/11
Mar 30, 2011, 09:42
Moon Cat wrote:
IanB wrote:

Queen 2? Right on. I can take most of the albums for what they are up to and including The Game but yes the first three at least are corkers. I could happily dispense with quirky half of NATO I'm afraid. At the time I dismissed them almost entirely after Sheer Heart Attack. Not enough weight in the guitars.

Queen II - it's just one of the most sublimely nutball records ever made IMO. Even now I listen to it and marvel and think "Really, what is this? What are they doing? Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?" But it WAS a really good idea and ludicrously and luxuriously entertaining. Exquisitely silly in a good way.

I think "Queen 2" might well be up there with "Physical Graffiti". It might even belong slightly higher up the greasy approval pole than any single LZ album. And as Glam albums go it gives "Ziggy" a huge run for its money. A lot of it would also work brilliantly as musical theatre - admittedly these are show tunes with no show, but the commitment to try and make the songs work as an exercise in story telling is unusual outside of Folk Rock. In that era the mainstream was usually "Lick My Love Pump", "Lets Talk About Me" or "Hobbits & Hobgoblins In Outer Space". And using those Beach Boys harmonies on something as totally metal-tastic as "Fathers and Sons"? Page and Plant would not have dared be that out there in an arrangement without making a wholesale pastiche of it a la "D'Yer Maker".
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index