Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 27, 2011, 11:10
Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 25/03/11
Mar 27, 2011, 10:44
Fitter Stoke wrote:
You're very welcome - and cheers for the feedback.

I love the '63 (or is it '62?) Karajan Fifth too: very fiery and exciting. In fact, that whole cycle is stunning, the overdriven Sixth excepted (the mono Philharmonia recording of that work is far preferable). And I prefer the '77 Ninth - my favourite modern recording of that work.

My all time favourite Beethoven 5 is the 1955 Klemperer recording on EMI - the mono one. It strikes a near-perfect balance between the dramatic, the exciting and the ethereal. How Klemperer missed that list is beyond me.

The Celibidache Munich Fifth is somewhat quirky to my ears, but like all of those posthumously released live recordings, fascinating. I'll never get over hearing that Bruckner 8th with its 45 minute final movement. Amazingly, it works - but it's not the way I'd like to hear it every time!

Yes I just now put the 63 in parentheses. It's definitely not a 63 recording 61 or 62.

Bruckner 8? Now you are talking though the final movement in the recording I have isn't as long 45 minutes. More like 35 but still not long enough. Maybe it feels like 45! There is probably no music written that can be taken slow enough for me. Love having the time to observe the details.

Don't have the Klemperer. Will seek it out forthwith! You mean the mono one?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index