Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 27, 2011, 11:14
Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 25/03/11
Mar 27, 2011, 08:20
Had a big Klaus Schulze week

Still working my way through the "Ultimate Edition" series (thanks again to whoever it was who sent me those in 2007 with the 70s TD boots) and really enjoyed revisiting "Blackdance" and "Irrlicht". Especially the former

I had not heard "In Blue" before this week. The Ash Ra / Gottsching connection and the fact that it is £4.49 on iTunes made it an easy purchase. It's very much of its time. If you like FSOL's "Lifeforms" or Jan & Spoon's "Stella", have a soft spot for the Sven Vath end of New Age and have ever wished the intro to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" was 20 minutes long then this is the record for you. I'll be playing it again just as soon as I have worked my way through all those other UE albums.

Marillion - Fugazi & Script
Makes me laugh when first generation Marillion fans pull out the old "they're nothing like Genesis" argument (it's like when Hammilland Fripp do the "we weren't really Prog, we were just a Beat Group" thing) . There are touches of Hammill and Alex Harvey as well as Gabriel and these records are what they are (enjoyable but have a guitar and keyboard sound wholly in debt to Hackett and Banks) and neither are a patch on ....

Marillion - Clutching At Straws
Barring their then customary stab at writing an American radio hit, this is one of the better Rock n Roll Bukowski records. It's Fish in Pete Townshend's post "Quadrophenia" confessional mode. What separates Fish from someone like Wayne Hussey is that you sense he's actually lived it and his imagery (original or second hand) is a cut above. If he is stealing then he is stealing in style but it isn't ....

Elvis Costello - Imperial Bedroom
Still makes me gulp. The lyrics have a hard edge that some reviewers seem to miss, focusing on the classy pop arrangements. Well worth a revisit. Talking of brutal tunefullness ...

Au Pairs - Playing With Different Sex
Sounded positively other-planetary next to near contemporaries like say "Heaven Up Here" or "Mutant Disco" and they could be storming live. There was nothing else quite like it in the English rock canon until "Rid Of Me". For sheer fire power it knocks big spots off of the first Go4 record and makes the Bush Tetras (who I love) sound positively tame.

Which doesn't mean there isn't room for some levity ...

Roches - Roches
Dated but genuinely touching and funny with some class moments from the hand of Fripp.

and down the other end of the street from the Au Pairs I am still enjoying having dug out David Coverdale "Whitesnake", Whitesnake "Snake Bite" and Glenn Hughes "Play Me Out".

and this is the single tune I have played the most

The Dynamics - Miss You
Fab reggae cover of the Stones disco hit.

and finally

Robert Donat et al - Murder At The Cathedral
Along with "War Requiem" and "a Matter of Life and Death" this is a piece of art that tells me a lot about England and the English in the 30 and the 40s. Not least about the English language. It's all as distant to us now as the Victorians were from me when I was a kid but there was still something post-War about a lot of London in the 60s and 70s which makes this feel relevant to the England I grew up in.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index