Greetings pop pickers here goes with this weeks astounding sounds

Yes -,Live 1974 from Wolfgangs Vault patchy, pompous oh Yes
Atomic Rooster- In Hearing of
The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
Gong- Camembert Electric
Deep Purple - Made In Japan
The Byrds The Notorious Byrd Brothers
The Who - Who's Next
The Who - Tommy had it for years and try as I might I just can't get into this album but mind you I said that about SF Sorrow and now I really like that album and Tommy isn't a patch on it.
Been on a Julian Cope kick this week for the first time in a long, long time taking in Peggy Suicide, Jehovahkill, My Nation Underground, Interpreter and it's been great.
The Pink Fairies-What a Bunch of Sweeties another LP I couldn't get into till last Wednesday when it blew some dark clouds away on my drive home from work. Great when u suddenly connect with a record like that.
Black Country Communion - Self Titled
Blodwyn Pig - A Head Rings Out

Julian Cope - 20 Mothers
Ian Gillan Band Scarabus
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Dave Mason - Alone Together 
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 25/03/11
Mar 27, 2011, 00:52
^^Tommy is great man, you're missing out : )
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Mar 27, 2011, 02:43
Chaosmonger wrote:
^^Tommy is great man, you're missing out : )

A couple of tracks aside I find it dull, Quadrophenia was a far better LP in my opinion.
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Mar 27, 2011, 03:55
As for me -
CD:
Burzum - Fallen
The Who - Live at Leeds
Wire - Pink Flag
Wire - Chairs Missing
John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
The Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society
Napalm Death - Harmony Corruption

DVD:
The Who - The Kids Are Alright Deluxe Edition

And about to watch the new Norm MacDonald standup special in a half-hour here.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Mar 27, 2011, 04:26
Albums

The Witches - A Haunted Person's Guide To
Turisas - Stand Up and Fight
Blood Ceremony - Living with the Ancients
Matt Berry - Witchazel
VA - The Last Daze of the Underground - The Delerium Records Anthology
VA - A Breath of Fresh Air - A Harvest Records Anthology 1969-74
Pink Fairies - Never Never Land
Tandy Love - Turk Jerk (Andy Votel)
Eternal Tapestry - Beyond the 4th Door
Jex Thoth - Totem
James Pants - James Pants
VA - Cries from the Midnight Circus - Ladbroke Grove 1967-78 (absolutely love this, thanks for the heads-up Bubblehead, and especially to the HHer who helped me hear it)

In the Queue

Pink Fairies - What a Bunch of Sweeties
Pink Fairies - Kings of Oblivion
Moon Duo - Mazes
Mountain Goats - All Eternals Deck
Within Temptation - The Unforgiving
+ A whole pile of very unpromising looking promos

Tracks

Tamikrest - Outamachek
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Mar 27, 2011, 05:34
Mar 27, 2011, 05:14
A short list for two weeks worth of listening, damn work...

JULIAN COPE - Jehovahcoat Demos - Has become compelling listening now after repeated plays despite some initial scepticism. Like the way it goes from slack kak to groovy genius in a matter of seconds, bleeping/burbling synths are a big plus factor for me, Jehovahcoat Theme is ace, the whole of Phase 3 very good indeed.

OREN AMBARCHI - In The Pendulum's Embrace - As it's beatless, i can get away with playing this at substantially louder levels than, say, Space Ritual. Played quietly, it's a nice piece of ambient chillage but with the volume up it's a different beast entirely. Despite it's superficial fragility i love the way Oren's trademark 'pings' seemingly alter the air pressure in the room leaving the listener physically short of breath, no really, they do !

SUNN 0))) - White 2 - Even couch potatoes can vibrate. Well, that's what it felt like during Hell-O)))-Ween anyway.

V/A - The Score ( Mojo Freebie from years ago ) - Really well compiled disc, lots of old faves ( Fistful Of Dollars, Johnny Too Bad, Midnight Cowboy, Watermelon Man, etc ) but equally more than a few eye-openers too. Notably, Wil Malone's brilliant theme from Death Line ( sounds a bit like Elmer Bernstein grappling with a Moog )and the ace Bedazzled with an ennui filled vocal from Peter Cook which i only barely recalled ( You fill me with inertia, LOL )

MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA - Birds Of Fire / Wild Strings - Cleveland '72 - 'Nuff said already. Apart from, can't get enough of Jerry Goodman, have never heard him play outide of the MO but think i'm gonna have to explore further.

NARADA MICHAEL WALDEN - Garden Of Lovelight - My guiltiest of guilty pleasures. Preposterously over the top disc dedicated to his guru Sri Chimnoy made with Tom Dowd at the helm and some top fusion session musos. Guest appearances from Carlos Santana and Jeff Beck too, so no expense spared. Kinda orchestrated jazz rock funk soul with a lush, syrupy production, yeah, it can be a bit cloying at times but Ray Gomez's guitar ( like Dave Gilmore but tastier ) is worth the price of admission alone, and if truth be told, so is some of Narada's drumming ( which is more than you can say for some of the beatific vocal content which is just pee yr pants funny ). Must have been completely spannered for this to have even been played.

Finally, still flogging GRAILS - Deep Politics - to death. I'm not gonna hear a better record this year, amazing shit !

All the best everyone,

Mark x
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 27, 2011, 11:14
Mar 27, 2011, 08:20
Had a big Klaus Schulze week

Still working my way through the "Ultimate Edition" series (thanks again to whoever it was who sent me those in 2007 with the 70s TD boots) and really enjoyed revisiting "Blackdance" and "Irrlicht". Especially the former

I had not heard "In Blue" before this week. The Ash Ra / Gottsching connection and the fact that it is £4.49 on iTunes made it an easy purchase. It's very much of its time. If you like FSOL's "Lifeforms" or Jan & Spoon's "Stella", have a soft spot for the Sven Vath end of New Age and have ever wished the intro to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" was 20 minutes long then this is the record for you. I'll be playing it again just as soon as I have worked my way through all those other UE albums.

Marillion - Fugazi & Script
Makes me laugh when first generation Marillion fans pull out the old "they're nothing like Genesis" argument (it's like when Hammilland Fripp do the "we weren't really Prog, we were just a Beat Group" thing) . There are touches of Hammill and Alex Harvey as well as Gabriel and these records are what they are (enjoyable but have a guitar and keyboard sound wholly in debt to Hackett and Banks) and neither are a patch on ....

Marillion - Clutching At Straws
Barring their then customary stab at writing an American radio hit, this is one of the better Rock n Roll Bukowski records. It's Fish in Pete Townshend's post "Quadrophenia" confessional mode. What separates Fish from someone like Wayne Hussey is that you sense he's actually lived it and his imagery (original or second hand) is a cut above. If he is stealing then he is stealing in style but it isn't ....

Elvis Costello - Imperial Bedroom
Still makes me gulp. The lyrics have a hard edge that some reviewers seem to miss, focusing on the classy pop arrangements. Well worth a revisit. Talking of brutal tunefullness ...

Au Pairs - Playing With Different Sex
Sounded positively other-planetary next to near contemporaries like say "Heaven Up Here" or "Mutant Disco" and they could be storming live. There was nothing else quite like it in the English rock canon until "Rid Of Me". For sheer fire power it knocks big spots off of the first Go4 record and makes the Bush Tetras (who I love) sound positively tame.

Which doesn't mean there isn't room for some levity ...

Roches - Roches
Dated but genuinely touching and funny with some class moments from the hand of Fripp.

and down the other end of the street from the Au Pairs I am still enjoying having dug out David Coverdale "Whitesnake", Whitesnake "Snake Bite" and Glenn Hughes "Play Me Out".

and this is the single tune I have played the most

The Dynamics - Miss You
Fab reggae cover of the Stones disco hit.

and finally

Robert Donat et al - Murder At The Cathedral
Along with "War Requiem" and "a Matter of Life and Death" this is a piece of art that tells me a lot about England and the English in the 30 and the 40s. Not least about the English language. It's all as distant to us now as the Victorians were from me when I was a kid but there was still something post-War about a lot of London in the 60s and 70s which makes this feel relevant to the England I grew up in.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Mar 27, 2011, 10:02
Inspired by our great conductors thread, I played and compared recordings of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony by as many of the BBC Music Magazine's Top 20 conductors as I could access: all of them, in fact, except Boulez, Beecham and Mravinsky. Without going into the individual strengths and weaknesses of each, I was struck by how different the music sounded in each case - sometimes sweet and lyrical (Abbado, Haitink, Barbirolli and Monteux), sometimes searingly exciting (Klieber, Bernstein, Toscanini, Karajan and Szell), or - best of all for me - cerebral and other-worldly (Giulini and Furtwaengler). The others ranged between the ordinary (Rattle and Mackerras), overdriven and charmless (Gardiner), still-born (Davis), or too damned quirky to make sense (Harnoncourt and Fricsay). No-one recording was ideal, but I'd choose Giulini if forced to own only one from the conductors listed. His 1981 Fifth with the LAPO is a stunner, and beautifully recorded too. Furtwaengler's 1943 Berlin recording is my historic choice: you can literally feel the tension as the allied bombers fly above;

Sir Thomas Beecham 'English Music' - a superb new bargain box set of Beecham's unparalleled Delius recordings, augmented by relatively unfamiliar works by Bantock, German, Berners and Bax. I was moved beyond words by the version of 'Sea Drift' included here. Beecham was a thoroughly unpleasant individual who reserved all of his God-given charm for the music he conducted. His recorded legacy is really quite special - although it doesn't include a Beethoven 5, unusually enough;

Van der Graaf Generator 'A Grounding In Numbers' - I was underwhelmed by this at first, but repeated plays have revealed this record's considerable delights, not least Peter Hammill's underrated guitar talent. Short songs suit VdGG surprisingly well these days;

Queen 'Queen II' - impressive new CD remaster, getting close to the original 1974 LP for sheer heaviness. Mighty fine album too, as are all of Queen's first four long players. Thereafter they gradually descended into commercial direness, half of 'Innuendo' notwithstanding;

Deniece Williams 'My Melody' - classy Philly soul album from 1981 from a very talented lady with a four octave vocal range;

Also played and enjoyed bits of:

Madness 'One Step Beyond'
The Concretes 'The Concretes In Colour'
Gilgamesh 'Gilgamesh'
Lindisfarne 'Roll On, Ruby'
The Proclaimers 'Life With You'
Jake Thackray 'Jake In A Box' selections
Miles Davis 'Seven Steps To Heaven'
Dr Feelgood 'Malpractice'
Pitch Shifter 'Industrial'
Echo and the Bunnymen 'Porcupine'
David Sylvian 'Sleepwalkers'

Int music brilliant.

Have a great week, all

Dave
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 27, 2011, 10:53
Mar 27, 2011, 10:31
The Beecham looks amazing value for £15. Thanks for the tip on that one. Do like a bit of Bax and Bantock too. Coincidentally I was watching Ken Russell's Delius film (Song of Summer) last week. It is an odd little film (I think it is the sound recording that does it) but the best of his composer biopics I think.

Love your LVB analysis. Wish I had the time for that much detailed listening of one symphony. The early (63) Karajan recording is a case of first love for me. I do play the Celli / MPO one from time to time.

Queen 2? Right on. I can take most of the albums for what they are up to and including The Game but yes the first three at least are corkers. I could happily dispense with quirky half of NATO I'm afraid. At the time I dismissed them almost entirely after Sheer Heart Attack. Not enough weight in the guitars.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Mar 27, 2011, 10:41
You're very welcome - and cheers for the feedback.

I love the '63 (or is it '62?) Karajan Fifth too: very fiery and exciting. In fact, that whole cycle is stunning, the overdriven Sixth excepted (the mono Philharmonia recording of that work is far preferable). And I prefer the '77 Ninth - my favourite modern recording of that work.

My all time favourite Beethoven 5 is the 1955 Klemperer recording on EMI - the mono one. It strikes a near-perfect balance between the dramatic, the exciting and the ethereal. How Klemperer missed that list is beyond me.

The Celibidache Munich Fifth is somewhat quirky to my ears, but like all of those posthumously released live recordings, fascinating. I'll never get over hearing that Bruckner 8th with its 45 minute final movement. Amazingly, it works - but it's not the way I'd like to hear it every time!
Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index