70 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Mar 27, 2011, 05:34
Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 25/03/11
Mar 27, 2011, 05:14
A short list for two weeks worth of listening, damn work...

JULIAN COPE - Jehovahcoat Demos - Has become compelling listening now after repeated plays despite some initial scepticism. Like the way it goes from slack kak to groovy genius in a matter of seconds, bleeping/burbling synths are a big plus factor for me, Jehovahcoat Theme is ace, the whole of Phase 3 very good indeed.

OREN AMBARCHI - In The Pendulum's Embrace - As it's beatless, i can get away with playing this at substantially louder levels than, say, Space Ritual. Played quietly, it's a nice piece of ambient chillage but with the volume up it's a different beast entirely. Despite it's superficial fragility i love the way Oren's trademark 'pings' seemingly alter the air pressure in the room leaving the listener physically short of breath, no really, they do !

SUNN 0))) - White 2 - Even couch potatoes can vibrate. Well, that's what it felt like during Hell-O)))-Ween anyway.

V/A - The Score ( Mojo Freebie from years ago ) - Really well compiled disc, lots of old faves ( Fistful Of Dollars, Johnny Too Bad, Midnight Cowboy, Watermelon Man, etc ) but equally more than a few eye-openers too. Notably, Wil Malone's brilliant theme from Death Line ( sounds a bit like Elmer Bernstein grappling with a Moog )and the ace Bedazzled with an ennui filled vocal from Peter Cook which i only barely recalled ( You fill me with inertia, LOL )

MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA - Birds Of Fire / Wild Strings - Cleveland '72 - 'Nuff said already. Apart from, can't get enough of Jerry Goodman, have never heard him play outide of the MO but think i'm gonna have to explore further.

NARADA MICHAEL WALDEN - Garden Of Lovelight - My guiltiest of guilty pleasures. Preposterously over the top disc dedicated to his guru Sri Chimnoy made with Tom Dowd at the helm and some top fusion session musos. Guest appearances from Carlos Santana and Jeff Beck too, so no expense spared. Kinda orchestrated jazz rock funk soul with a lush, syrupy production, yeah, it can be a bit cloying at times but Ray Gomez's guitar ( like Dave Gilmore but tastier ) is worth the price of admission alone, and if truth be told, so is some of Narada's drumming ( which is more than you can say for some of the beatific vocal content which is just pee yr pants funny ). Must have been completely spannered for this to have even been played.

Finally, still flogging GRAILS - Deep Politics - to death. I'm not gonna hear a better record this year, amazing shit !

All the best everyone,

Mark x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index