Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 27, 2011, 12:35
Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 25/03/11
Mar 27, 2011, 12:18
Fitter Stoke wrote:
My memory was playing tricks with me, I fear: the Bruckner 8 to which I'm referring has a 35 minute third movement and a 32 minute final one - still pretty extreme, but not as much as I'd remembered. This is the 1993 Munich Phil one that is part of the EMI Celi Bruckner box, and I'm going to play it again later today.!

Yes that's box I paid a king's ransom for. Playing the Bruckner 8 right now in fact. Still toying with getting the 4th box.

Fitter Stoke wrote:
Yes, the Klemperer Fifth which I rate highly is the EMI mono one, coupled with a superb Seventh from the same year. It's available on both EMI and Naxos, being long out of copyright. Don't hesitate!

I am a bit puzzled by the Naxos / EMI thing. I am not sure why Naxos would bother given that EMI can easily undercut them on the same repertoire if they want to. Naxos have some real gems in that faux EMI red and black livery. I guess it is the difference between a Penguin Classic with a good forward and one of those £1 ones on bog paper. Though there isn't the same material quality issue with a recording these days.

Anyway the 50 year rule on recordings is peculiar given that the publishing side (ie the right in the composition rather than the recording) runs 70 years after death. A composer could very easily be collecting mechanicals long after the performers would be collecting a royalty. Which seems deeply unfair.

I assume we are due a set of revelatory Beatles remixes / remasterings sometime around now which will then become the "standard version" and the clock will start ticking again on the 50 years.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index