Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks to our lives w/e 13/2/11
Feb 14, 2011, 23:45
my main one of the week is
Pat Kilroy Light Of Day
utterly sublime mostly acoustic folk/raga/blues whatever lp from '66 recorded on both sides of a hitchiking expedition around Europe with Suzan Graubard who plays various things on this record.
I have the Collector's Choice edition which again seems pretty quiet on first listen, I think their No Other is considerably quieter than the longer alternative too. But since the alternative is Radioactive's alter ego Fallout I think this is the one to go for.
Looking forward to getting The New Age cd which I ordered from Rd records. That label seems to have quite a lot of great stuff on it.

Stone angel s/t
lovely '75 semi acoustic folk lp which really is a must have for anybody into the Brit/acid/wyrd stuff. Why I only just got it I'm not sure, been meaning to for a while.
Maybe it was reading the 2 folk books towards the end of last year Rob Young & Jeanette Leech.

Oho Okinawa
Really weird, frequently scatological psych-prog or prog-psych from '74 Baltimore. Now twice its original released length in the Rockadrome Vintage edition. Got some great guitar and drums amongst other stuff.
Might investigate the later spinoff bands on the sttrength of this and what I heard on their site.

Elvis Presley Sun Sessions
which came on a cheap set of his 1st3 lps on digipack cd. Great stuff, was wondering was it this that Dylan referred to as 'the wild mercury sound' since I think it was something he himself referred to. It was then used to reference his Nashville recorded mid 60s material.
Anyway, even if this isn't as beefy as some other stuff being recorded in the same studio around the same time it is rightly iconic.

Sabbath Assembly
Like this, certainly wasn't what I initially thought it was going to be. Far more sensual than the doomy metal I assumed. Jex Thoth's voice is lovely. The music can verge on the loungey then be interrupted by psychy guitar solos.
Must read the book that inspired it.

dvd
finally watched the Sonic Youth Italy '83 dvd I grabbed soon after getting back a month back. band still had short hair & Bob Bert. Rocked anyway though, not surprising with Bert whose later projects seem to have primitive r'n'r meets avant in common.
I first saw the band a couple of weeks after this, they got a really short set before most people including the press arrived, got annoyed blew up a bass amp. Very memorable gig.
I later found out that a later friend helped build Danielle Dax's stage within a stage which was one reason SY had to go on so early.

halfwatched the first episode of Boardwalk Empire, must giove it another go.

Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index