54 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Re: Soundtracks to our lives w/e 13/2/11
Feb 13, 2011, 13:01
Fitter Stoke wrote:

The Dukes of Stratosphear '25 O'Clock' - it's taken me over 25 years to get into this. Where previously I'd thought of it as a clever but uninspiring Partridge fad, the real invention and love behind these six psychedelic songs was finally revealed to me when I played this last week for the first time in decades. And the attention to detail goes as far as the LP label, being a return to Roger Dean's original B&W Virgin design that first delighted me on 'The Faust Tapes'. Superb production job too from John Leckie, XTC's greatest ever knob twiddler IMHO;

What a spot on analysis for such a wonderful album. I remember hearing it when it was released, and completely falling for the 'lost psyche classic' wheeze. I had no idea it was XTC, whose English Settlement I'd played to death since its release. It just didn't twig and I possibly had soap in my ears.

Andy Partridge has said that Skylarking is essentially a Dukes album, as the majority of the songs were written with them in mind. You can definitely hear the psych in that terrific record.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index