54 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Soundtracks to our lives w/e 13/2/11
Feb 13, 2011, 10:47
This week's aural joys:

Jim Leverton 'Bright New Way' - short and sweet 2005 solo effort from Caravan's current bass player featuring the man on fine vocal form, backed by many of Canterbury's finest;

Any Trouble 'Life In Reverse' - effortless, perfect pop from the ever-flowing pen of Clive Gregson, one of our most underrated songwriters;

Clive Gregson 'Happy Hour' - my comments as above apply here, this time reflecting a much darker side to Gregson's character;

Nick Lowe 'At My Age' - The Jesus of Cool is very country and western these days, but his way with a tune is as sharp as ever, and his voice is as mellow and warm as befits a million Marlboros. I love this;

The Dukes of Stratosphear '25 O'Clock' - it's taken me over 25 years to get into this. Where previously I'd thought of it as a clever but uninspiring Partridge fad, the real invention and love behind these six psychedelic songs was finally revealed to me when I played this last week for the first time in decades. And the attention to detail goes as far as the LP label, being a return to Roger Dean's original B&W Virgin design that first delighted me on 'The Faust Tapes'. Superb production job too from John Leckie, XTC's greatest ever knob twiddler IMHO;

Elton John 'Empty Sky' - unsung psych-infused debut from a modest songwriter destined for obscurity. Whatever happened to him?

And that, with a couple of Schubert piano sonatas played by Alfred Brendel and a smidgeon of Maynard Ferguson's leger-line busting trumpet playing, was about it for me this week. What about you, discerning dudes?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index