54 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Edited Feb 14, 2011, 00:22
Re: Soundtracks to our lives w/e 13/2/11
Feb 14, 2011, 00:18
Not listened to a great deal this week, dunno, heads been elsewhere, but, there was time for a few bits.

Various - Deutsche Electronic Music
I got this as a DL initially, then on CD, now bought the vinyl. HMV had both double LP's for a tenner each with free P+P, bargain!
I have a good deal of what's on here already, but it has a nice flow. Really like the flute driven track by Kollectiv called 'Rambo Mambo'. Kinda like a lost track off Ralf and Florian album. Soul Jazz put out some good compilations, and long may they keep it up.

Life In Mono - Headphone Music
This is nice, kinda reminds me of Appliance, pop with a Kraut/electronic edge.

Holy Sons - Criminal's Return
More lo-fi acoustic noodlings and experiments by drummer from Grails.
Kinda sounds like a downbeat early Beck.

Rapture - Mirror
1st album by post punk disco types. Didn't like it when i bought it years ago, but played it all week. Alienation is the standout, but most of it is pretty darn fine.

Incredible String Band - Wee Tam/Big Huge
Love this record almost as much as 5000 Layers and Hangman's. Fell in love with 'Iron Stone' when i saw it on the film 'Be Glad...' an odd hippy play about pirates and from what i can glean, fairies or nymphs. All very odd, but also strangely other worldly too. Was done on a shoestring, but some of those foil masks are really spooky.

Bitch Magnet - Umber
Sounds like 1 part Shellac/Rapeman with 1 part Tar and X parts...(fill in with various Homestead/Blast First artists). Love this record, has a real inertia to it. Mind you, was looking to replace my old (dead) vinyl copy on CD and i nearly shit at the prices...guess it's not in circulation for the time being.

Sky Arts showed the Bunnymen playing Rockpalast from 82/83?
Was great, they were at the height of their powers back then, that's for sure. Though for some reason, after the 2nd encore had finished, the Sky version glitched and replayed half the gig again, spooky!

Well, that's about it, have a better one...!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index