Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 13, 2011, 13:01
Re: Soundtracks to our lives w/e 13/2/11
Feb 13, 2011, 12:50
Squid Tempest wrote:
Ian, what are the Camel and Caravan live albums like? I've been pondering getting those for a while. Ta!

They are the only two records by those bands that I ever really bother with but while I have a acquired a lot of their respective albums over the years I am not an expert in either band.

I find both their studio catalogues a bit bland vocally and production wise but I like a lot of the material so the extra thrust of a live record crosses that river for me. Fairfield Halls is deffo my favourite of the two Caravan live albums I have (the Love In Your Eye / Auberge / The Dog / For Richard sequence is storming - without the orchestra they sound like an amped up Fairports).

I saw Camel on the Snow Goose tour at New London Theatre and even then it all seemed a bit snoozily polite though they were great on the small handful of songs they played from their earlier albums (Lady Fantasy and Another Night IIRC). This later live set has a bit more oomph to it than the studio records even when they are running down the Snow Goose suite which is more than a bit tepid compositionally. The BJH live album does the same job for me. Probably Curved Air's live and BBC recordings too. A decent Greenslade live album would also cover a multitude of studio sins!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index