Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Soundtracks to our lives w/e 13/2/11
Feb 13, 2011, 10:47
This week's aural joys:

Jim Leverton 'Bright New Way' - short and sweet 2005 solo effort from Caravan's current bass player featuring the man on fine vocal form, backed by many of Canterbury's finest;

Any Trouble 'Life In Reverse' - effortless, perfect pop from the ever-flowing pen of Clive Gregson, one of our most underrated songwriters;

Clive Gregson 'Happy Hour' - my comments as above apply here, this time reflecting a much darker side to Gregson's character;

Nick Lowe 'At My Age' - The Jesus of Cool is very country and western these days, but his way with a tune is as sharp as ever, and his voice is as mellow and warm as befits a million Marlboros. I love this;

The Dukes of Stratosphear '25 O'Clock' - it's taken me over 25 years to get into this. Where previously I'd thought of it as a clever but uninspiring Partridge fad, the real invention and love behind these six psychedelic songs was finally revealed to me when I played this last week for the first time in decades. And the attention to detail goes as far as the LP label, being a return to Roger Dean's original B&W Virgin design that first delighted me on 'The Faust Tapes'. Superb production job too from John Leckie, XTC's greatest ever knob twiddler IMHO;

Elton John 'Empty Sky' - unsung psych-infused debut from a modest songwriter destined for obscurity. Whatever happened to him?

And that, with a couple of Schubert piano sonatas played by Alfred Brendel and a smidgeon of Maynard Ferguson's leger-line busting trumpet playing, was about it for me this week. What about you, discerning dudes?
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Feb 13, 2011, 11:09
Re: Soundtracks to our lives w/e 13/2/11
Feb 13, 2011, 11:05
Malachai - Return to the Ugly Side

Banjo or Freakout - s/t

Deerhoof - Deerhoof Vs. Evil

The Roots of Madness - Girl in the Chair

Os Mutantes - s/t

The Stanley Brothers - Angel Band (The Classic Mercury Recordings)

The Fugs - The Fugs' Second Album

Man - 2 Oz of Plastic With a Hole in the Middle
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Feb 13, 2011, 11:08
Albums

White Fence - Is Growing Faith
Jex Thoth - Witness
Chase & Status - No More Idols
Asian Dub Foundation - A History Of Now
Esben and the Witch - Violet Cries
Assemble Head in Sunburst Sound - When Sweet Sleep Returned
VA - Rough Trade Shops: Psych Folk 10
VA - DJ Andy Smith - New Orleans Funk Experience
VA - The Sisters Anthology
VA - Sixties Pop Vol 5 - Beautiful Dreams
Vagrants - I Can't Make A Friend 1965-1968
Dana Gillespie - Foolish Seasons
Black Tempest - Secret Astronomies (Hail Squid!)
Korpiklaani - Ukon Wacka
VA - Thai Dai - The Heavier Side of the Luk Thung Underground
Robin Trower - At the BBC 1973-1975
The Dirtbombs - Party Store
Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra - World of Funk
James Blake - James Blake
Amplifier - Fractal EP

Tracks

Assorted James Blake EP Tracks
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 13, 2011, 11:28
Feb 13, 2011, 11:18
Still listening to the Rick Roderick lecture series for the umpteenth time. If you like Bill Hicks and a bit of Marcuse and Derrida et al then you must get these. Especially "Self Under Siege". He's the Southern Rock Colin MacCabe! Pretty easy to find on line last I looked and a good alternative to a radio diet of Nevin and Groves or Mayo and Kermode.

http://rickroderick.org/

http://wimpywombat.net/ (scroll down to 19 2 10 for mp3 links)

As for rock n roll et all. All these got a play this week

Hatfields - s/t
Can - Future Days
Crimson - Red
UB40 - Signing Off
Cimarons - On The Rock
Camel - A Live Record
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn
Egg - Civil Surface
Strummer - Streetcore
Magma - Merci
Caravan - Fairfield Halls
Esperanza Spalding - Newport & Austin 2009
Ramases - Space Hymns & Glass Top Coffin
Mutamassik - That Which Death Cannot Destroy
Marillion - Clutching At Straws
Yes - Yessongs
Porc Tree - Stupid Dream
Opeth - Damnation
Ian Carr- Labyrinth
Norma Winstone - Edge of Time
Mart
Mart
214 posts

Feb 13, 2011, 12:07
Erik Satie - piano pieces arranged for guitar
Toro Y moi - Causers of This
Woods - At Echo Lake
Teeth of The Sea - Your Mercury (finally got into it)
and last but not least, Sex Mammoth by Fudge Tunnel !
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Feb 13, 2011, 12:45
Ian, what are the Camel and Caravan live albums like? I've been pondering getting those for a while. Ta!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 13, 2011, 13:01
Feb 13, 2011, 12:50
Squid Tempest wrote:
Ian, what are the Camel and Caravan live albums like? I've been pondering getting those for a while. Ta!

They are the only two records by those bands that I ever really bother with but while I have a acquired a lot of their respective albums over the years I am not an expert in either band.

I find both their studio catalogues a bit bland vocally and production wise but I like a lot of the material so the extra thrust of a live record crosses that river for me. Fairfield Halls is deffo my favourite of the two Caravan live albums I have (the Love In Your Eye / Auberge / The Dog / For Richard sequence is storming - without the orchestra they sound like an amped up Fairports).

I saw Camel on the Snow Goose tour at New London Theatre and even then it all seemed a bit snoozily polite though they were great on the small handful of songs they played from their earlier albums (Lady Fantasy and Another Night IIRC). This later live set has a bit more oomph to it than the studio records even when they are running down the Snow Goose suite which is more than a bit tepid compositionally. The BJH live album does the same job for me. Probably Curved Air's live and BBC recordings too. A decent Greenslade live album would also cover a multitude of studio sins!
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Feb 13, 2011, 13:01
Fitter Stoke wrote:

The Dukes of Stratosphear '25 O'Clock' - it's taken me over 25 years to get into this. Where previously I'd thought of it as a clever but uninspiring Partridge fad, the real invention and love behind these six psychedelic songs was finally revealed to me when I played this last week for the first time in decades. And the attention to detail goes as far as the LP label, being a return to Roger Dean's original B&W Virgin design that first delighted me on 'The Faust Tapes'. Superb production job too from John Leckie, XTC's greatest ever knob twiddler IMHO;

What a spot on analysis for such a wonderful album. I remember hearing it when it was released, and completely falling for the 'lost psyche classic' wheeze. I had no idea it was XTC, whose English Settlement I'd played to death since its release. It just didn't twig and I possibly had soap in my ears.

Andy Partridge has said that Skylarking is essentially a Dukes album, as the majority of the songs were written with them in mind. You can definitely hear the psych in that terrific record.
carlyclub
carlyclub
128 posts

Feb 13, 2011, 14:24
Willie Wright - Telling the Truth
Bobb Trimble - Iron Curtain Innocence
Rangers - Suburban Tours
Kevin Ayers - Joy of a Toy
Trees - The Garden of Jane Delawney/On the Shore
Screaming Trees - Uncle Anaesthesia/Sweet Oblivion
John Martyn - Solid Air
Yes - Fragile
v/a - Pakistan: Folk and Pop Instrumentals
Incredible String Band - The 5000 Spirits/The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter
Omar Souleyman - Jazeera Nights
Henry Flynt & Nova'Billy - "
King Gheedorah - Take Me to Yr Leader
This Heat - Deceit
v/a - Raks Raks Raks: Iranian Psych
v/a - Cambodian Cassette Archives
Elvis Presley - From Elvis in Memphis
v/a - Legendary Rockin's R&B
v/a - The Ultimate 50s Rockin's Sci-Fi Disc
Partibrejkers - Najbolje od Najgoreg
Catherine Christer Hennix - The Electric Harpsichord
Ashtray Navigations - A Monument to British Rock
Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma
Sea Donkeys - Sympathy for the Sea Donkeys
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Feb 13, 2011, 14:59
carlyclub wrote:

Bobb Trimble - Iron Curtain Innocence

That's the first time I've ever seen Bobb Trimble mentioned in SOTL by anyone other than me. What an astonishing record that is - as is its follow-up "Harvest of Dreams". Exactly the kind of artist Unsung was made for.

Btw what's that Iranian psych compilation like? I've already got "Cambodian Rocks" but have yet to venture into Middle Eastern psych (unless you count Turkey, which I don't).
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index