6761 posts

Edited Nov 03, 2010, 18:34
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 31st October 2010 CE
Nov 03, 2010, 18:32
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:
keith a wrote:
CITIZEN CAIN'D - Julian Cope
A patchy affair for sure, but there are some great tracks here. Particularly enjoyed I Can't Hardly Stand It - perhaps the wildest, loosest sounding track in Cope's long illustrious history?

Good call. Of the many 2005/2006 Cope related releases this is the one that has the greatest potential for longevity I think. Especially the second half. "Cying Shame" is a wonderful track, as is "World War Pigs" and "Homeless Strangers" almost sounds like a sloppy drunk Be Bop Deluxe. I remember the vocals coming in for some stick at the time but they sound like single-take-no-fixes jobs and are really spontaneous and passionate.

Crying Shame and World War Pigs are two of my fave latter-day Cope tracks.

The latter is on a compilation I made for my youngest so I hear that one in the car an awful lot!

Not quite so keen on Homeless Strangers tbh - I think it's the Lynyrd Skynyrd intro that puts me off a bit. Just sounds too derivative to my ears. I still can't quite figure out what the actual song reminds me of though. Any ideas, Ian?

I thought it was ripped off from the intro to "Modern Music" after the Sid James (or is it Tony Hancock?) bit though it also has a ploddy Neil Young thing about it. Must go have a listen.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index