IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 01, 2010, 09:37
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 31st October 2010 CE
Nov 01, 2010, 09:32
Squid Tempest wrote:
IanB wrote:
Maximum Darkness - Man
Not an all-the-hits type live album. This one features Deke's "7171-551", a Quicksilver obscurity and a gorgeous Buffy St Marie cover. Plus the semi ubiquitous "Bananas" Though it is a glorious and at times somewhat spooky recording of "Many Are Called, But Few Get Up " that literally steals the show. Even if they did have to re-record a load of Cippolina's guitars it is still a fantastic record. Intimate and spacious at the same time.

I've had that on my "one to buy" list for yonks. Looks like November is going to be another expensive month! I've always liked One From The Heart too...

"Maximum Darkness" is a cracker but don't get conned into buying the bonus tracks version as they are not from the same show and are therefore not essential. In fact like John Martyn "Live at Leeds" the bonuses take something away from the experience. The "Rainbow 72" show is also worth having and features yet another line up! Again no Deke and Clive John steps into the guitar trenches this time. Same band as that which made "Be Good To Yourself".

I know a lot of people swear by "Padget Rooms" and "Truckers" but these two live sets plus the earlier Roundhouse show are almost all the Man a non hardore fan needs. They're all in Grateful Floyd mode except Man don't make me chortle when they try and boogie. Terry Williams is a god and they were always blessed with good bass players who could swing.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index