Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 31st October 2010 CE

80 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 31st October 2010 CE
Oct 31, 2010, 20:02
Paul Simon - Paul Simon
(Paul's deliberately underproduced reaction to 'Bridge Over Troubled Water', a great collection of songs, with rough edges left unpolished).

Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection
Elton John - 17/11/70
(Reg at the height of his powers. This time round I particularly enjoyed the psychedelic 'Where To Now St Peter?' and the powerhouse live version of 'Sixty Years On').

Scott Walker - Scott 2
The Walker Brothers - Portrait
(Both Scott's second albums. There are a couple of songs 'Scott 2' could lose to make it just perfect, maybe to be replaced by the couple of decent songs on 'Portrait' which I found to be mostly quite weak. 'The Amorous Humphrey Plugg' is a good one to sing in the shower).

Elvis Presley - 40 Greatest Hits
Elvis Presley - From Elvis In Memphis
('40 Greatest Hits' is a very nostalgic listen - my first introduction to his actual classics after getting several of those peculiar budget LPs).

OMD - Junk Culture
OMD - Crush
('Junk Culture' is possibly their most dated album, but the title track and 'White Trash' still sound good. 'Crush' has their wimpiest singles, but some of their best album tracks. Love the 2-track suite that starts the second side, and 'The Lights Are Going Out' is a very spooky closing track).

Fiction Factory - Throw The Warped Wheel Out
Fiction Factory - Another Story
(Revisited these out of curiosity as this was a band I was a big fan of at the time for some reason. The first album has connections with Simple Minds, OMD and The Associates and is sometimes better, sometimes worse than I remembered. The second album ended my fandom, and still sounds less appealing than the first, but has the odd good bit).

Various - Ripples Vol.3: Autumn Almanac
(Excellent compilation of autumnal cuts from late 1960s UK 7 inches).

The Monkees - The Monkees Present
(The recent discussion about the 'Prefab Four' had me digging out the 2nd LP by the 'Postfab Three'. A typically strange mix of styles, but with Micky emerging as a particularly interesting songwriter).

Of Arrowe Hill - A Few Minutes In The Absolute Elsewhere
Of Arrowe Hill - Hexadelica & The Speed Of Darkness
(As Hallowe'en approaches, who better to listen to than 'Britain's Most Haunted Band' (TM)?)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index