80 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 31, 2010, 16:17
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 31st October 2010 CE
Oct 31, 2010, 16:16
I don't tend to get that misty eyed about music. That said there are a few memories that do tug at the old heart strings and Man's farewell weekend at the Roundhouse is certainly one of those. Don't know if it is my mother's Merthyr youth resonating in the family DNA but there was a wonderfully genuine warmth about Man that you don't generally find in the ego filled mud wrestle that is rock n roll.

For the uninitiated I can warmly recommend these two that I have played endlessly this week ...

Complete Roundhouse Concert 1973 - Man
A bootleg of live outtakes recently officially released as a pair of bonus discs to a reissue of "Back Into The Future". This is the very short lived Phil Ryan, WIll Youatt, Tweke Lewis Manband line up. Plus Male Voice Choir. Think in temrs of a more cogent and rockin version of "Atom Heart Mother" era Floyd. Tweke sounds like he was born to be in this group and Deke is not missed. That said he was very soon back in the fold and integral to the 1975 line up that made the beautifully recorded ....

Maximum Darkness - Man
Not an all-the-hits type live album. This one features Deke's "7171-551", a Quicksilver obscurity and a gorgeous Buffy St Marie cover. Plus the semi ubiquitous "Bananas" Though it is a glorious and at times somewhat spooky recording of "Many Are Called, But Few Get Up " that literally steals the show. Even if they did have to re-record a load of Cippolina's guitars it is still a fantastic record. Intimate and spacious at the same time.

the other pop record I have been playing this week is

"One From The Heart" Soundtrack - Crystal Gayle and Tom Waits

... the rest has been mainly classical and some jazz. Primarily

Mahler X conducted by Simon Rattle

Carla Bley's "Escalator Over The Hill"

and

Uri Caine's "Primal Light" and "Dark Flame"
If you like a bit of exploratory Jazz and are not adverse to some John Zorn in particular but want a way into romantic and late romantic classical music and especially Mahler then these two records could be for you. Genre bending genius.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index