80 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2376 posts

Edited Oct 31, 2010, 22:26
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 31st October 2010 CE
Oct 31, 2010, 22:26
I Killed my vinyl of Psychocandy by playing to death back in 1989or there abouts. Seem to recall it wasn't great quality to start with.
It was released when they were starting to big up CD and all the records were getting thinner by the week. Then i bought it on Blanco y Negro chrome cassette, which got worn out pretty quickly then onto CD. Though it has to be said, it is the shittest mastered CD of all time, way overdue some kind of 'Loudness War' make over me thinks (though pleeeeze, if it happens don't do an Iggy Raw Power everything to 11 fest, he killed the record i grew up with and loved (still love) shortcomings and all).

Ditto The B-sides one Barbed Wire Kisses, maaaan, with regards to thickness, you could see daylight through that one, good job it was only £3.99 :)

I'm still amazed how 'condensed' and crunchy the wall of distortion is on Psychocandy, guess they 'gated' everything to hell. 'In A Hole' is still the standout track for me, though i think the whole record hangs together pretty well. Great ear for melody amongst all the white noise and mayhem .
If i hear a something from it when out and about i'm still humming what comes next even if it's a totally different track which follows.

Bizzarrely, I always thought they were over-rated as a band. Only really liked Psychocandy, Barbed Wire Kisses and the last one Munki, the rest i still couldn't give a damn about really. Now 'Munki', there's an under-rated pop record if ever there was one. (well in my opinion).
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index