Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Nov 03, 2010, 15:16
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 31st October 2010 CE
Nov 03, 2010, 14:44
Jung Turks Liber Eth
http://www.jungturks.com/music/
Local post-rock/instro duo whose lp I found in the local chain cd store last week. I used to see them regularly as the support act at a local venue. Not sure if they're still playing as regularly.
Guitarist used to be pretty mobile if I'm remembering right. Frenziedly plucking a semi acoustic guitar to the accompaniment of a jazzy drummer.
I like the cd, it was on the 3-spinner for most of the week.

Daniel Owino Misiani & Shirati Jazz Benga Blast!
90s compi of 80s material by Kenyan based Tanzanian ex-pat Luo and his band. Pretty great percussive grooves with complex guitar picking.
I really need to find out more about the genre. & get the new Sterns compi of the group's '70s material.
Infectious.

African Scream Contest.
Great, great material mainly from the opposite coast to the above. West Africa had some amazing music being made in the 70s under influence from US soul/funk artists like James Brown with some psychedelic influence thrown in.
think i need to pick up the discs by the individual artists too.

Toumani Diabate & Symmetric Orchestra Boulevard de L'Independence
I find the kora reminds me of royal courst of a few hundred years back. Very stately music, deeply atmospheric. Here mixed with more upbeat instrumentation I find pretty psychedelic.
This cd was going for 5Sterling in FOPP last year. Think it's pretty amazing.

Mose allison Best of
Laid back, cool piano blues singer who was pretty popular with mods in the 60s. Funny lyrics, great tunes. What more do you want?

The Action Rolled Gold
2nd version of this material I bought, having got Brain before this was released. Not sure what exact difference between the 2 versions is beyond better remastering & wider distribution.
Listening to this & knowing they were under the wing of George Martin it is almost unbelievable that this never got fully worked up to what it could have been as finished product. These remain demoes though and a lost 60s lp is at least in some way widely represented.

Spring
The multi mellotron band supporting singer/songwriter like material on the main lp but get a bit more rocky on the bonus material on this Repertoire disc.

Love Is the Song We Sing disc 3
Think this may be the most overtly psychedelic of the 4 discs on the box set.
It starts with The Charlatans' Alabama Bound which is one of my favourite tracks. Goes through most of the rest of the first tier of San Fran bands among some lesser known stuff.
Great compi. Do wish they'd do a Detroit volume.

Ya Ho Wah 13
played a couple of their lps this week. Some 'far out' stuff, among the more psychedelic material I've heard. Band sound stoned, especially Father Yod whose chanting may just be a little extraneous.

Pharaoh Sanders Isipho Zam.
Psychedelic head jazz? think my fav track here is the 2nd, Balance which might find itself being added to my walkman if there's space.
Leon Thomas is here with his trademark yodelling. Do wonder exactly what the target audience was at the time. pictures of this being played through the P.A. at dashiki clad black power meetings fleet through the head, but I wonder on the accuracy.

Grateful Dead various live 70s & '81.
'81 they still had it. Earlier stuff doesn't need saying.
Swirling vistas of fractal exploration, if that isn't too overwritten.

Swans Koko 28/10
Live is as good as the studio lp.
They're revisiting pretty early material in a style more redolent of their white rabbit or '88 stuff. so far more melodic though less brutal, deeply hypnotic though.
Do hope more video footage appears since this is massively compelling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGIu3MYZKWE&feature=share

Relatively Clean Rivers
The Phoenix cd of this early 70s lp. Wish there was a more legit version. This is a bit reminiscent of the Dead's take on country rock in places. Great US post psych/verging on prog throughout.
Would reccommend it more if there was an alternative source.

Live Skull Positraction
New York band's final lp. Has Thalia Zedek on vocals, she went onto greater renown of course. Not sure what happened to rest of band.
They kind of fit in with Sonic Youth in terms of sound. Often semi psychedelic, especially on the long closing track Caleb which has the same waves lapping at a dawn beach feel as SY were very good at.

videos.
Watched 2 seasons of Mad Men, early Sopranos, early Spooks, Captain Scarlet's origin episode.

Reading
James frey Bright shiny Morning -long sprawling set of vignettes about L.A. enjoyed greatly, though subject matter could be depresing.

Dead Men do tell Tales
memoirs of a forensic anthropologist I think I picked up for 20c, very interesting.

Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index