80 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2376 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 31st October 2010 CE
Oct 31, 2010, 21:43
Picked up a great record by ARP called 'The Soft Wave'
Pure Tim Blake analogue hush with a hint of early Kraftwerk and Numan to boot, luuurving it.

Oneida -Rated O
Amazon had this triple CD for 3.99 last week, bloody hell, too good not to pick up. Disc 2 is the money shot in this collection, but it all stands up to repeat listens.

J&MC - The Power of Negative Thinking - Disc 1
Been on heavy repeat this week, great to hear Suck, Ambition and Vegetable Man without my abused vinyl pops and clicks. Not sure i could stomach 4 discs in one session, but it's a great article to dip into.

J&MA - Psychocandy.
Still the best bloody thing they ever did IMO, though why they ruined the original vinyl flow with Some Candy Talking inserted halfway through the CD is still annoying to me after all these years....Skip.

Holy Sons - Decline Of The West
This is one of my fav' records of the past year, it's not a new one, but is relatively new to me. Great lofi heartfelt acoustic-ish dabblings from the guy who drums for Grails and Om. Stunning

Numbers - In My Mind All The Time.
Basically Numbers are a one trick pony, if you've heard one track, you've pretty much heard them all, but it's that no wave, single minded, limited pallette of noise that appeals. Basically a squalking synth/organ with spastic drums, guitar yelps and random female shouts. Hell Yeah, it's back onnnnnnn.

The Earlies - The Enemy Chorus
Apsolutely hated these when my friend Charlie introduced them to me, but now, the penny has finally dropped and i can't get enough. If you've heard Phantom Band, Tunng, Beta Band it's pretty similar stuff, though the final track 'Breaking Point' is a great drawn out raga. Ain't it funny how something you loathed so much becomes so close to the heart. I'll never work it out!

Johnny Dowd - Wire Flowers
A collection of Ole Johnny's alt country/rockabilly-esq lofi demos from the first few releases. I gotta 'fess up. This guy produces some pure cheese, but i'm pretty much a sucker for the lot. I like the idea that someone can get it on (musically Speaking) later in life (he's gotta be 50's-60's?), and tread they're own skewed path regardless of public opinion. Temporary Shelter is mucho different tho, hell, it's almost Trip Hop with a heavy vibe (Oooof, hate that analogy, but it's the nearest i got).

Rough Trade Rock And Roll Vol:1
This is one of my fav' compilations ever, 2 discs of scorching tunes, most of which i gotta confess i own elsewhere, but there's ner a dud one in the selection. A few standouts for me .... STP - Hey Bastard, Dirtbombs - Underdog, a great demo version of She Cracked, Guitar Wolf - Summertime Blues, Pussy Galore - Alright. Now, if they'd only pull their finger out and get out Vol:2...though i think that's pretty unlikely sadly.

Colder - Again
This is basically like a sparser Dubbier Tarwater, but all the better cos of that if you ask me! Had a minor 'indie' hit with 'Crazy Love', a rubbery Joy Div bassline over a minimal beat with an animated video of a man running. Yeah!!!

Little Claw - Little Claw
As you've probably guessed, i'm a sucker for lofi and amateurish recordings and this is no different. Kinda like a less together Times New Viking if your looking for a touchstone, though with a bit of Wyrd Folk detuning for good measure. Sadly last years Human Taste, which was much lauded in the 'alternative' press is weak in comparison.

Anyhoo, i've blathered enough. Have a Horrible Halloween!! Arrrrrrgghhhhhh
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index