Unsung Forum »
Why I prefer Van Halen to Radiohead

78 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: NWOBHM
May 08, 2008, 17:04
Just some words in the vein for mt two centipedes worth...

I remember an old intverview with Mick Head, chief singer songwriter of Shack & The Pale Fountains saying how he used to be hardcore punk in Liverpool back in the day and yet found himself having to regard certain songs as guilty pleasures. He apparently loved Boston's "More than a Feeling" and yet felt obliged to keep it secret because such a thing was deemed "un-punk". I can't think of anything more un-punk than not being allowed to like stuff.

Like some of the others on here, I genuinely believe the NWOBHM has been some what marginalised and unfairly derided as a musical movement. Of course, like ALL music scenes, there's a deluge of poo with the diamonds (heads snark), but I think there was a lot to be admired in how it all came about. As people have pointed out, it DID learn a lot from punk but I think, like 'em or loathe 'em you have to admire the likes of Maiden for not getting their hair cut for a record deal that was dangled under their noses. And I think that even thought punk is considered some kind of yardstick of working class rockers made good - and I'm sure a lot of that is fair and applies - you look at the some of the bands of the NWOBHM, especially some of the Northern n North Eastern bands of the time and I'd argue that their 'struggle' is even more relevant and admirable because they were doing it without London fashionistas giving them any critical plaudits or approval and were following a resolutely unfashionable path because of a love for the music. Spurious notions of authenticity aside, it's as true to say now as it was then; the mainstream music press doesn't like it when a movement happens without their say-so. The NWOBHM was at best reported with a snide curiousity at the time.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I genuinely believe there is ssomething far more enobling and heroic in Joe Elliot from Def Leppard spending his day at a factory in sheffield, full of rock dreams and buying spandex keks from Ms Selfridge to wear with the band onstage than Sid stenciling a swastika on his jacket whilst working out which way up to hold his bass.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index