Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 07, 2008, 08:58
Re: NWOBHM
May 07, 2008, 08:57
redbarchetta wrote:

I agree with most of Ian's points regarding NWOBHM.

Never fashionable, it rarely featured in the pages of Melody Maker and the NME, had minimal airplay and almost never graced the TV. Even to this day, it's unlikely you'll see any NWOBHM retrospectives on BBC4.

Which is a pity, because in its day, NWOBHM was pretty big and spawned a huge indie scene in its own right - small labels, fanzines, subculture etc. Indeed, one of the big players in the UK music indutry in recent years - Sanctuary - was initially banked by Iron Maiden.

As usual, it's punk which dominates the way the media in particular represents that era, but I think some serious historical revisionism is overdue here - the way in which music was heard, and music culture in the late 70's/eary 80's in general - is, as far as I'm concerned, radically different from the way we seem to choose to remember it.

I thank you.

It's because the people who wrote about Punk at the time or were fans became cultural commentators (Parsons, Burchill, Morley, Savage, Neil Spencer, Adam Sweeting, Charlie Murray, Mick Farren etc etc) and / or broadcasting figures in their own right (Elms, Ross et al) so they perpetuate the myth and on it goes. The same thing has happened with the Mondays / Roses thing. Miranda Sawyer will keep that old chestnut running for as long as she can put fingernail to keyboard.

Punk was brilliant. Punk was neccessary. Punk was essential. All true but it was not the whole story of music in the mid to late 70s.

If the NWOBHM bands had hailed from Chile or Japan or Slovenia there would be no small degree of pant-wetting going on.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index