Unsung Forum »
Why I prefer Van Halen to Radiohead

78 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Why I prefer Van Halen to Radiohead
May 06, 2008, 14:33
I don't mean to be rude, Ian, but saying that VH are as important as the Ramones is bollocks. I can think of loads of bands that I like more than The Ramones, but I wouldn't under-estimate their importance. It's like saying Def Leppard are more important than the Pistols!!

But anyway...

My point was that Van Halen were being mentioned here as 'fun' and 'entertainment' (which they may well be if you like that sort of thing), and Radiohead clearly aren't either of these two things.

Not even the staunchest Radiohead would suggest that Radiohead are a barrel of laughs. Now I like comedy as much as anyone I know (The Damned tick my 'fun' and 'entertainment' boxes!), but I don't see why should a band be criticised because they're serious about their music. And to be fair, I've read interviews with them and they don't seem to take themselves too seriously as people or 'artists', unlike say Johnny Burrell of Razorlight who seems to think he's a new Bob Dylan.

People get into music for different reasons. I'd love to be in a successful band, but it wouldn't be because I wanted to spend my life on the road playing arenas and getting pestered by Muppet-like fans. It'd be because I could make the music I wanted to make. And Radiohead, for better or worse, do that. I know you probably won't agree with me, and neither will all the people here who believe in some great lost pre-punk rock myth, but I think Radiohead deserve better than to be slagged off for not being as much fun as some old rock dinosaurs who sounded old hat first time round.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index