78 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Edited May 06, 2008, 18:27
Re: NWOBHM
May 06, 2008, 18:19
Keith A said ''The punks I knew were working class''

I found the complete oppisite, all the punks round our way were elitist middle class and small minded to the nth degree.

My early dislike of punk was fuelled by their horrible attitude and blinkered vision that anything that didn't fit the punk mould was rubbish, this included The Ramones, Amon Duul 2 & the MC5.

luckily me & my mates got on with digging Iron Maiden and whatever else tickled our fancies new or old.

Personally I find most music fans have pretty blinkered vision when it comes to range of musical tastes but the late 70s/early 80s seemed to bring out the worst in people.

Keith A said''The NWOBHM (which I never classed Girlschool as TBH) scene might have spawned lots of successful bands who sold far more records than The Ramones ever did, but it was of no cultural importance whatsover as far as i'm concerned. ''

It did give Motorhead a leg up, and for that matter AC/DC, maybe not your idea of a good thing but probably of cultural import, swathes of underground rock from Black Flag, Melvins, Stupids, Napalm Death to Sunno))) all have their roots somewhere in the NWOBHM , the musical landscape today would be radically different if Maiden , Leppard et al had gone the same way as Nutz or Quartz
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index