Unsung Forum »
Why I prefer Van Halen to Radiohead

78 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: NWOBHM
May 06, 2008, 18:02
I liked Girlschool - they were one of the few bands associated with rawk at that time that I did like. But I don't think they, or any of the others, are 'important'. They were fun though!

Going off on a tangent in reply to a few messages here...

The NWOBHM (which I never classed Girlschool as TBH) scene might have spawned lots of successful bands who sold far more records than The Ramones ever did, but it was of no cultural importance whatsover as far as i'm concerned. Surely it was looking back, not forward - Punk may have had its roots in the early Who, etc, but ultimately we'd not seen its like before, and it was a movement which then led to some of the most interesting music ever over the next few years. What legacy did NWOBHM leave other than curly perms and overblown videos?

I don't get this idea that it was 'working class' and therefore of more merit than something which isn't.

It's surely about whether something is any good or not? But as we're on the subject, there seems to be this idea that punk was just some arty middle class thing. That's Malcolm revisionism for ya!

The punks I knew were working class, and so were most of the early punk bands. End of.

The people I knew who hated NWOBHM weren't being middle class elitists. They came from ordinary backgrounds and had something between their ears, and just thought it was brain dead shite that appealed to spotty teenagers who were too young to have been around when Zep and Sabbath had been around. As far as I'm concerned Saxon and Def Leppard (regardless of the fact they released a record themselves which wasn't so much of a deal by then) were to the likes of Sabbath what The Exploited were to the Pistols.

TOO LATE!

I don't think we should confuse importance with commercial success. Otherwise we'd be saying that Engleburt Humperdink is more important than a band like The Velvet Underground who sold bugger all!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index