IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 07, 2008, 07:20
Re: NWOBHM
May 07, 2008, 07:09
keith a wrote:
machineryelf wrote:

My early dislike of punk was fuelled by their horrible attitude and blinkered vision that anything that didn't fit the punk mould was rubbish, this included The Ramones, Amon Duul 2 & the MC5.

I'm sure we were weren't the only ones like this. And I seem to remember that Thin Lizzy were one rock band that punks seemed to like.

As for Motorhead and AC/DC...they may have had a helping hand, but they weren't NWOBM surely, any more than Bob Marley had a helping hand from punk but clearly wasn't punk (oh alright, this isn't the best example I've ever come up with but it's late and I want to go to bed!!)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that although I'm not a major fan, there will always be a place in my heart for Ace Of Spades!

Nighty night! ; )

Thin Lizzy were the one straight ahead rock and roll band we were told it was ok to like because the band hung out boozing with the journalists and with the Pistols, Heartbreakers et al. I like a couple of the albums but muscially there's barely room to slip a plectrum between Lizzy and the Blues Rock that we were simultaneously being told was crap like Steve Gibbons, Frankie Miller and Quo.

You are right that AC/DC are deffo from the Blues Rock end of metal but Motorhead were one of those bands who ditched the Blues and Prog and went for it (with apologies) hell for leather. The first album is a corker though if they had been on a major rather than Chiswick they would never have been allowed to release such a bizarre sounding album.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index