Why I prefer Van Halen to Radiohead

78 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: NWOBHM
May 06, 2008, 23:52
machineryelf wrote:

My early dislike of punk was fuelled by their horrible attitude and blinkered vision that anything that didn't fit the punk mould was rubbish, this included The Ramones, Amon Duul 2 & the MC5.

How much of this was defensiveness in what was being firected at them? I always felt that the 'rock fans' were the real small-minded ones, feeling threatened cos some folks had chopped their hair off. It wasn't just a case of a horrible attitude, there was the very real threat of violence. For christ sake, people got beat up round here cos they had the audacity to wear drainies!!

As I've said before, whilst I was buying punk singles in '77, the albums I was buying were altogether more old fart - Sgt Peppers and Octopus spring to mind - whilst my mate was still collecting his Johnny Winter albums!

I'm sure we were weren't the only ones like this. And I seem to remember that Thin Lizzy were one rock band that punks seemed to like.

As for Motorhead and AC/DC...they may have had a helping hand, but they weren't NWOBM surely, any more than Bob Marley had a helping hand from punk but clearly wasn't punk (oh alright, this isn't the best example I've ever come up with but it's late and I want to go to bed!!)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that although I'm not a major fan, there will always be a place in my heart for Ace Of Spades!

Nighty night! ; )
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index