78 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 05, 2008, 14:30
Re: Why I prefer Van Halen to Radiohead
May 05, 2008, 14:02
I love VH. Nothing more to be said on that subject that I haven't said on here many times before.

As for Radiohead I liked the second album a lot and it is one of the better records about being in a band (as second records often tend to be). Was one of the classic slowburn / sleeper albums.

Then we had OK Computer being talked up by the press beyond all rhyme and reason though personally I loved their tunes in "Romeo + Juliet" (Talk Show Host? Lucky?). They had a truly cinematic quality that they haven't revisited since.

Overall OK Computer is pretty ok. If you've never owned a copy of Low it might even sound like an important record. I play it once a year and enjoy the space guitars.

No, what turned me right off them was their on-the-road documentary.

If you can't get off on being in one of the biggest and most celebrated bands in the world while having sympathetic management and total musical control / freedom then there is something seriously wrong with you.

They just seem to be utterly determined to out-glum each other in terms of focusing on the tedium of touring and none of the considerable upside. They didn't even seem to enjoy the music making part let alone the promo.

Oh dear. Someone wants you to do an interview and talk about your music? Boo fucking hoo. What an imposition! The nasty writers didn't overlook to compare you with Kierkegaard and Unamuno again did they? Poor poor loves. Manager kiss it better etc etc

When you compare it to the Bends era Astoria video it's almost like a different band altogether. Middle class guilt can be a terrible thing as anyone unfortunate enough to have bought Thom Yorke's solo album can hear. His brother's band were loads better than that.

And you can bet that Dave Lee Roth never made the mistake of thinking that not having a middle eight or a chorus would suddenly make his music more artistic.

Otherwise I quite like them ;-)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index