Unsung Forum »
Unpleasant Heroes

76 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9572 posts

Re: Unpleasant Heroes
Apr 27, 2005, 21:38
I was in a pub in Oswestry (small market town for those not in the know) in the early 90's, when this little bloke with long hair, a long beard that descended into two points, and a pair of small round purple glasses walked in. 'Bloody hell' I thought - 'it's Roy Wood', cos even though i hadn't seen or heard anything of him for some time (this was before his mid-90's mini-revival) and he was much smaller than you would think - it could only have been an older version of that bloke in the warpaint from all those years ago.

He walked towards me on his way to the bar, and this girl I knew introduced me to him. I was quite excited and told him I'd been a big fan of his. Now whether it was cos my sentence used the past tense or whether he was just in a bad mood I don't know, but he never even replied. He just walked off. 'You bastard' I thought. 'I bought Fire Brigade when I was seven - that was a lot of pocket money on one purchase!. I didn't expect him to sit and discuss the production values of Brontosaurus or go into detail about why the 2nd Wizzard album was a rocknroll pastiche, but a simple hello would have been nice.

Anyway, it put me off for him a short time, but ignorant gitt or not, i still think he was a great talent. And, on the strength of the gig I saw him play 2-3 yrs ago, I choose the past tense carefully this time!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index