Unsung Forum »
Unpleasant Heroes

76 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lugia
970 posts

Re: Unpleasant Heroes
Apr 27, 2005, 18:38
Hmmm...now, a colleague of mine worked with Cale a few months back, and something about the experience might explain what happened...

He said John Cale himself was a _wonderful_ gentleman. Of course, they were bending over backwards to make sure that everything had been dealt with venue-wise to make Cale's job easier. However...at one point, my colleague tried to ascertain what Cale's choices of liquor would be for the dressing room, this of course being a standard point with many touring artists, and was curtly told by Cale's personal assistant 'No. There will be none of that.'

Soooo...two theories here: either the PA hadn't been doing his/her job, and John Cale HAD gotten hold of something that did a Jekyll/Hyde on him, or the PA was doing his/her job TOO WELL and had been driving John Cale up the frickin' wall during this period by aggressively keeping him on the wagon. Anyway, both are theories...in amongst other possibilities. Suffice to say, we've got a little evidence that he's not like that ALL the time, so it may have been something to do with circumstances.

After all, it should be pointed out that sometimes when you're out dealing with the public, you...well...just don't want to deal with the public. I've had evenings where I've felt perfectly at ease and chummy with the crowd I'd pulled in, and others where I just wanted to get the fuck OUT and not deal with anyone. The dynamics there can be really complex in what causes one or the other or many states in between to occur. Sometimes it only takes one or two abusive shitheads in the crowd to really put you off of everyone, given that you're the one out there hanging it all out onstage and, ostensibly, giving it your creative all.

Anyway, not trying to be a Cale apologist here and all, but do keep in mind that sometimes there's more to it than someone simply being a total ass. However...in certain cases, some artists (including a few I've dealt with) ARE total asses, so that needs to be kept in mind as well.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index