Unpleasant Heroes

Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
vince
vince
1628 posts

Unpleasant Heroes
Apr 27, 2005, 04:03
Friend of mine working for Holger Czukay attended a special couple of shows in Europe a week or two back where Holger was performing with John Cale. Now, I like John Cale, a lot. seems like a decent Welshman, nice rock'n'roll pedigree, made some astonishing music, but i was dismayed to learn that he was a complete & utter arrogant bastard in a perpetual bad mood & with no time for anyone.

And yet i've met the extremely small Louis Reed who turned out to be a real gentleman.

Anyone else have incidents of heroes turning out to be c**ts / c**ts turning out to be Gentlemen/Women?
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Re: Unpleasant Heroes
Apr 27, 2005, 13:38
ian macculloch - asked him for an autograph when i was 16 and he told me to fuck off. never forgiven him. never will.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Apr 27, 2005, 14:44
I'd never have expected anything better from him, tbh - he'a always struck me as an arrogant twat. I once saw Mark E.Smith queing for a drink in a pub in Manchester, but I didn't even approach him because I knew I'd probably get exactly the same response.

Met Evan Dando once, he was a real prick. Also met Sonic Boom from Spacemen 3 / Spectrum, and he was (perhaps surprisingly) highly affable.

Also met Can (minus Damo or Malcolm) when they appeared at the Orange in Kensington to do a promotional session for "Sacrilege". The only nice one was Michael Karoli (God rest his soul). The rest were, perhaps unsurprisingly, dour, miserable gets.

Met Julian once too - he was OK.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Apr 27, 2005, 14:48
"...seems like a decent Welshman"

Whatever that means ??!!
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Apr 27, 2005, 14:52
Simon LeBon met me once. I was right bastard.
TheBear
TheBear
981 posts

Apr 27, 2005, 14:54
Ha Ha! :D
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Apr 27, 2005, 15:35
Mark E Smith - thoroughly nice chap he was but then I've heard other stories.

Howard Devoto - unfriendly and a snob.

Boyd Rice - really nice person and a good laugh.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: pleasant Heroes
Apr 27, 2005, 15:37
I met Robert Plant once and bein a big Zep head was pleased to find him a perfectly affable and decent enough cove which was a relief considerin the enormity of his.....legacy. Praps cos I looked like his mini-me at the time.

To be honest if I based my record collection on whether I though the artist/artists were decent human beings or not I reckon I'd have about 3 albums. Same goes with actors in a way. You've gotta remember that despite what they may say about the intregrity of their art and artistic expression and so on, the very act of getting onstage, of performing and of releasing material or work that you feel people need to hear then it must betray the fact that some part of that artist - could be a huge part, could be a molecule - requires a form of attention, perhaps even adoration (SEE MORRISEY) and devotion, as well as a degree of self obsession that, given the pressures of the biz, is bound to manifest itself in some form of unpleasant behaviour from time to time.
I guess some artists have a greater degree of control over this aspect of their makeup. And for some its the reason they get out of bed.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 27, 2005, 15:39
Plus they are PEOPLE after all and I guess most of us have our nice n nasty days.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Apr 27, 2005, 15:48
and it must be a bit of a pisser to have hundreds of folks you've never met before appearing out of nowhere and acting like they are your best friend. still, goes with the territory...
Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index