Unsung Forum »
soundtrack 2 hour lives w/e 15/5/2005

74 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lugia
970 posts

Re: soundtrack 2 hour lives w/e 15/5/200
May 16, 2004, 23:36
While yer on the classical tip, PMM, I recommend Bruckner's 9th. The adagio movement is KICKASS!

What's been up here...?

MILES DAVIS: "Get Up With It" and "Dark Magus". Started last week with the latter, and now been jamming to both in the Toyota. "Get Up..." is great stuff...alternating between the ambient noodly weirdness of "He Loved Him Madly" and "Calypso Frelimo" and the funky-ass car-chase fun of "Billy Preston", "Mtume", and "Red China Blues". Yeah, baybee... And of course, "Dark Magus" is one massive landslide of jam-on racket, interspersed with some moments of cool and such.

MIKE OLDFIELD: "Incantations". Speaking of classical...Oldfield's 'proper symphony'. This thing bugged some people, but it really needs to be listened to in a _classical_ context, where it fits alongside things like Adams, Glass, Reich, etc...and does so quite well, in fact.

ARVO PART: "Fratres/Tabula Rasa/Symph #3". On the DGG "20/21" series. Sort of the same sort of things going on as in the Oldfield, save a LOT sparser and with just simple strings and a few other elements. The prepared piano on "TR" is so damn cool, I tell ya...

KLAUS SCHULZE: "Irrlicht". Fzzzzbzzzzzzbzzzzzeeeeeeeee....YEAH!!! Sometimes, this thing just hits the spot, and there was sometime last week that that spot needed hitting.

ME: "Umi no Kami ni Kansha" and "November Light". The final paroxysms of "Oh, goddamn howmi gonna FIX this!?!?!" before actually doing so. Should have the hideous 60-cycle crud out of 'em and off to their respective labels this next week. Hopefully.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index