soundtrack 2 hour lives w/e 15/5/2005

Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

soundtrack 2 hour lives w/e 15/5/2005
May 16, 2004, 14:33
I've been having a lovely classical few days.

Dvorák's symphony from the new world - not just the "hovis" bit... the full hit. The first movement is just awesome.

Grieg - Peer Gynt suite - nordic atmospheric and full of trolls. bit like here really.

Mendellsohn - hebridean overture (fingalls cave) one of the hookiest classical tunes I've ever heard.

Delibes - The flower duet. Now this is just lightweight listenng! I have heard the whole opera before now, but the flower duet it the pinnacle of it, which is presumably why british airways cherry-picked it. I think it's gorgeous even so.

Oh yeah, and I've also been listening to Beefheart (trout mask replica) Pink Floyd (meddle) Faust (dunno which one) The Waterboys (fishermans blues) and a plethora of others.

Your turn...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: soundtrack 2 hour lives w/e 15/5/2005
May 16, 2004, 16:46
Mostly listened to my own music, as I'm putting together a two-disc release (as I have been backlogged w/ material and stuff.) I plan to call it Two Sicilies -- one disc Sicily and the other Naples.

Already compiled the tracking order. Will feature the full version of "My Lai" and truncated tracks off my first recordings from '96 ( previously issued on the tape Annunciator.) And a special untitled 'hidden track' (w/ no special space between 'cos I hate that) that may creep people out.

Oh yeah, finally found Andrea True Connection's "More More More"...
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

May 16, 2004, 18:56
Hey PMM, I've been grooving to Antonin Dvorak too - not the New World symphony, but the Seventh one, in the awesome Kubelik/Berlin Phil recording recommended on CD Review's 'Building A Library' yesterday morning. Truly intense stuff. But I've also been listening to:

Moby Grape 'Crosstalk - The Best Of Moby Grape' which I am ashamed to say is my first Grape purchase. It won't be the last on the strength of this, and the first two albums are winking provocatively at me;

Cinerama 'Get Up And Go' - interesting DVD (if you will) rockumentary about my fave band of the moment. Would have been better with more live footage, talking of which...

Cinerama 'Live In Belfast' - proving more than the studio releases that Gedge can't technically sing as such, but, like Neil Young, the noises he does make sound most appealing and perfect for the material on offer. And what material;

Lefty Frizzell 'Life's Like Poetry' - country's most divine and influential vocalist lived fast and died young(ish) but not before leaving behind a monumental recorded legacy, captured completely in this big and beautiful Bear Family box set. Johnny Cash aside, nobody did it better;

Tim Buckley 'Starsailor' - my, this is a tough nut to crack;

Tangering Dream 'Alpha Centauri' - which even the kacky Castle transfer of a few years back can't prevent from filling my room with burblings and gurglings of joy;

and

Deep Purple 'Machine Head' - which may or may not be the most perfect hard rock album ever made. And hey, 'Never Before' proves the band got well funky long before Hughes, Coverdale and Bolin got in on the action. Lush, 'specially in quad.

S'about it.

It's bad when it's thataway, and it's thataway now..

Dave W x x x x
keith a
9574 posts

May 16, 2004, 19:14
...how do you like it ; )

God. Haven't heard that in YEARS!!
Zos
389 posts

May 16, 2004, 19:29
This week:

Andrew King - The Bitter Harvest/The Amfortas Wound: Two very fine folk albums, squarely in the AL Lloyd and Shirley Collins tradition. Certainly the extensively referenced footnotes seem to owe a debt to Lloyd, and the sampled flute organ is a nod to Dolly Collins. Also, like Shirley he's not afraid of 'the horror of nature' (as one the sleevenotes on Anthems of Eden (I think) puts it). Great versions of The House Carpenter and Cruel Lincoln (Long Lankin).

Dead Raven Choir - Wine, Women and Wolves: New-ish cd of strange, disjointed gloomy acoustic music. Very odd, but good!

And that's it! So taken was I by Mr. King's work that I've not listened to owt else!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

May 16, 2004, 19:29
THE LEGENDARY PINK DOTS - Shadow Weaver:
Absolute Bliss from 1992. The music is superb and Ka Spel's unique voice and lyrics take you elsewhere!

WEATHER REPORT - I Sing The Body Electric:
From the early period when they were more abstract. Spellbinding stuff.

THE FALL - Dragnet:
"Hey You Horror Face!!..."
A Real Headcleaner.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

May 16, 2004, 19:31
Snap! (check the time of yr posting with my list below!) ;-)
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

May 16, 2004, 20:14
sharron kraus - beautiful twisted & songs of love
2 albums sometimes really nice and sometimes sounding a bit harsh in the vocals - interesting folk outings

neil young - lots of neil young this week - everytime i hear neil young i think mmmmmm got to listen to more - lovely stuff both in the acoustic and the heavier guise
Beebon
1375 posts

May 16, 2004, 21:03
Phew, pretty warm at the moment aint it?

Julian Cope - Fried: First time i've heard this all the way through. Great album indeed, though not particularly keen on o King of Chaos or whatever its called...

Groundhogs - Thank Christ For The Bomb: Had only heard "Split" before... first time i heard this i thought it was ok, then played it again and wow! What a bloody good album :)

Gomez - In Our Gun: Just under 2 weeks until i see them in Truro... cant wait! This album is pretty good, but prefer the previous two.... maybe that's cos im more familiar with them though. Despite that, this has some great moments

Air - Talkie Walkie: Still liking it!

Air - Premiers Symptomes: Stuff they released before Moon Safari and rather good it is too... i've slooshied to this many an evening this week!

Current 93 - All The Pretty Little Horses: Love this album so much, really sends a chill down my spine, but in an enchanting/good way!

Also, yesterday bough: Turn Turn Turn by The Byrds and Fear of a Black Planet by Public Enemy :) Plenty to enjoy over the coming week i think! Already grooving to public enemy as i write this! :)
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

May 16, 2004, 22:06
Bought Fleetwood Mac's 'Tusk' for a fiver at Fopp. Never heard it before, but do have (and love) the Camper Van Beethoven cover CD. So came to it the wrong way round... Prefer CVB's version.

Chikinki 'Experiment with Mother' - 1st offering from the neu-electronica hipsters. Their newer material is far more polished. Don't think this will get too many more airings.

Other stuff...

Futureshock 'Phantom Theory' - Dancey stuff to help take your mind off the fact your face is melting!!!

Mary Margaret O'Hara 'Miss America' + 'Apartment Hunting' - Can't compare her with anything else. Truly innovative, and a joy to listen to when you're in the right frame of mind

The Vines '1st one, with 'Outtathaway' on it' - I like the shouty stuff; can live without the rest.

The Only Ones 'Live' - Peter Perrett is gorgeous.

Secret Machines 'September' - Their 'Sad and Lonely' single is a stonker!

Joy Zipper 'The Stereo and God' - Breeders meet the Beach Boys (it says on the tin - who am I to argue?)

:o)
Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index