Stella Artois is not Vegetarian

80 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

cloned steak - yum!
Jan 16, 2003, 00:08
Yeah, i know all about the damage caused by fish farms. My point wasn't that they are environmentally benign, merely that they are probably no more damaging than large-scale mechanised crop production.

If you can convince people to stop eating fish altogether, whilst ensuring that the food-shortfall is filled from a better source then... yay! I'm right with you. I do feel, however, that some form of sustainable, non-damaging fish farming (if it could be achieved) may be a lesser evil when compared with over-fishing the oceans.

>
> If Tesco take a cell from a pig and somehow
> synthesise or clone a bacon sandwich, without
> that bacon ever having been a pig, would you
> consider eating it?
>
Now that's an interesting question; and one i've been thinking about recently. If you substitute "succulent, rare filet steak" for "bacon sandwich" then i'm *really* interested.

Ultimately, i think i've decided that i'd have no ethical problem eating a "cloned steak" that had never actually been part of a cow. Of course, the likely dodginess of the research that led to such an invention would certainly be a problem; as would the issue of whether i ever trusted such a product to be 100% safe to consume.

I dunno really; it's a complicated area - though weirdly enough, it's getting more and more difficult to dismiss it as "merely hypothetical". Technology is catching up with ethics all over the shop and - as i don't go with a blanket anti-tech stance - it means every situation has to be judged on its merits.

For instance, in theory i'm a proponent of genetic research and experimentation. I just don't trust those in charge of it, and don't believe that the open countryside is an acceptable laboratory to use. Thanks to capitalism's need for short-term profits; humanity is wasting opportunity after opportunity.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index