Stella Artois is not Vegetarian

80 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Why don't vegans eat honey ?
Jan 15, 2003, 14:44
hmmm... they're both deliberate. Farmers don't accidentally kill 'pests'. So i'm not sure i see a great distinction - though if you see one then that's where your moral compass has taken you, and i'm certainly not arguing with that.

I'm a fairly strict vegetarian, but i understand that there's a certain amount of irrationality involved... i tend to allow my own feelings of empathy be my guide; and i feel little or no empathy for insects. That's just the way i'm built, and i make no apologies for it. For that reason, neither honey production, nor the elimation of vegetable pests provide major moral quandaries for me.

I'm just confused about why one should be seen as problematic for vegans and the other not, as i cannot see any objective ethical distinction (but that's - as i've said - probably just me).

But i'm not claiming to be Mr. Consistent here by any means. I don't eat shrimp, for instance, but can't - if pressed - claim any great empathy for them. Indeed i don't see much of a distinction between them and insects.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index