Stella Artois is not Vegetarian

80 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Freeganism
Jan 10, 2003, 22:03
This stuff all depends on your reasons for not eating animals.

Most of the reasons are to do with the laws of supply and demand (if you don't buy it then they won't make as much). Thus, anything that is being thrown away anyway is irrelevant to this and so fair game. This idea is known as freeganism (vegan unless it's free, basically).

There are several reasons why I'm a vegan but not a freegan. Firstly, after all the reasons of animal welfare and land use and whatnot, I also have the reason of not wanting dead animals in me. Even if I wasn't encouraging it, I'd still be very aware of the suffering that was involved in making that meat, and I'd be very miserable eating it.

Secondly, the usual reason animal produce is available to freegans is cos it's being thrown away. This commonly means it's out of date or been kept unrefrigerated. Very bad poisonous things can happen to such animal produce, and I ain't risking that food poisoning.

However, I have total respect for freegans. There are loads of us in Leeds who get food out of the skips at the back of supermarkets and wholesalers, and there's often animal produce there. I fully understand those who see it as adding some value to the food, to at least make the suffering involved in making that salami or caviar not have been entirely in vain. If not taken and eaten, it would waste resources to take it to a landfill site where it'd be a methane-producer.

Oh and aqk, freeganism does include roadkill. I remember folks at Bagnor camp at the Newbury Bypass campaign eating loads of it.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index