Stella Artois is not Vegetarian

80 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: Why don't vegans eat honey ?
Jan 15, 2003, 18:15
I've always said that vegetarianism and veganism are tendencies rather than absolutes. Everyone has their own limits and blind spots. I know some very strict vegans who never ask about alcohol, or E numbers.

Vegetable food production certainly includes killing insects, and of course a fair few rats, mice, rabbits, hedgehogs and whatnot will be minced by combine harvesters.

For me, I'm fuckin squeamish about animal products. I don't want to put something in my mouth that's been squeezed out of an insect's guts.

Sure, it must happen inadvertently in foods other than honey, but for me it's rather like the way that you know that workers at processed food factories spit in your beans or bread dough, but you still eat it. But you wouldn't do so if the ingredients said 'scally phlegm'.

Regarding shrimps Grufter, it ain't just about the shit-eating little blighters themselves. Shrimp fishing is the largest waster of other marine life - they catch up to 15 times the weight of the shrimp, and then throw all the other fish and animals away, dead or dying.

Trawler fishing is just fucking outrageous. Cos we don't live underwater we don't mind the damage it does.

Imagine if, to harvest pigs, we strung a net half a mile long between 2 helicopters and dragged it across the countryside, killing all the trees, hedges, people, cows, sheep, cats, dogs and everything else in the way. Then , instead of even taking the other animals we just killed, we threw their carcasses back on to the ground to rot and only took the few pigs we'd caught. Then someone else came along a while later doing the same, but for cows. That's exactly what trawler fishing does.

Be proud of not eating shrimp, Grufty.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index