Stella Artois is not Vegetarian

80 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

oooh theology - my favourite!
Jan 14, 2003, 15:00
There is no proof for the non-existence of God. You're proof that "I am not in China" would be contingent upon defining the boundaries of a place called China and proving that you are not within them - ergo your actual proof would be "I am in a place which is not China". That (despite the word "not") isn't proving a negative. Or you could prove that you are within - say - the UK, and that China and the UK are mutually exclusive (agtain, not proving a negative).

To the best of my knowledge there are no exception to the "you cannot prove a negative" rule; merely semantic constructions which make it appear as though there are.

Also, on the God thing (assuming you're talking monotheistic God sentient creator entity - a la the Big Three) you have the problem of omnipotence, so that any apparent rational "proof" you derive can be explained by "God wishes for the universe to *appear* that way" (as trite as it sounds, still a valid argument). And omnipotence is compounded by "mysterious ways" which conveniently allows God a get-out clause from anything which might appear irrational or inconsistent to we mere humans.

I do not believe - for the record - in the existence of a God that comes even close to the ones depicted in our sacred-text religions, but having had one of those bizarre educations which focusses on practical subjects like theology and latin, i'm fairly certain there are no simple "proofs for the non-existence of God". In my years of arguing with jesuit academics, i'm fairly certain i'd have unearthed them.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index