U-Know! Forum »
the doubting vegan

24 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Razor Penguin
84 posts

Re: Iron, Zinc, B12
Sep 20, 2000, 00:35
But it's so much more involved than all of that, Quam (you non-bugger, you). Some of the points you raise are valid, but let's look at this thing from another perspective. We're all living in a society that is incredibly wasteful and destructive in many ways. Wild ecosystems are being destroyed so that raw materials can be extracted to make many of the things that we humans use. The actual manufacture of so many of these things we use on a daily basis creates toxins which are pumped into the environment continually, causing untold biological destruction. The manufacture of the computers we are using to carry on this discussion involves the use of incredibly toxic solvents which kill animals and humans. The same goes for CD's, CD players, and literally thousands of other things we use. Most vegetarians I know own at least one cat. Not only do cats eat meat produced in the very ways that you (and I to a degree) deplore, but they kill birdlife to an unbelievable extent, even when they've been declawed. Cats were only very recently domesticated, and they are very good hunters still (unlike dogs). They're amazingly adept at swatting birds out of the air and killing them, and consequently have wreaked havoc on ecosystems all over the world. It is ironic that people who claim to have such a concern for animal life show no awareness for such things. I'm not saying we should all get rid of our cats and our CD players; I'm just saying that we need to be aware of what we do and beware of calling others devils for doing what we ourselves are participating in.

Life lives on life. It always has and it always will. I came to the conclusion some time ago that there was no way I could avoid participating in the slaughter. No one can avoid it. I do the best I can, and most of all, I try to make sure something comes of it. I use as little as I can without stifling myself, because I feel the world will be far worse off if I don't follow my path than it will be if I leave some heavy footprints that paid off.

U-Know! Forum Index