U-Know! Forum »
the doubting vegan

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
aa23
5 posts

the doubting vegan
Sep 02, 2000, 22:29
It's a few short months since I made the ill-fated remarks that all vegans are seriously strange, and was taken to task by Merrick and others. I haven't changed my views about strangeness, but I have "gone over to the other side" and have been vegan for the last 4 weeks now. Just thought I'd share some observations...
Firstly, I feel better, have lost a few kilos that I couldn't shift before, and feel much more aware of things going on (animal-death wise) around me. I've also found myself more environmentally aware in general.
It hasn't been as difficult or restrictive as I thought it would be to give up dairy- and I've come across quite a few new recipies.
I've definately been eating more healthily-not least cos I have to take my lunch into work (canteens don't cater much for veggies let alone vegans). Missing out refined sugar has been one of the most awkward things - means I can't eat a lot of the sauces/prepared foods/breakfast cereals I considered OK before. The other restriction has been in eating out, which is very hard (but not impossible - the 13th Note Cafe in Glasgow is just dandy). So I guess it's onwards and upwards- I'd like to think I could continue this path indefinately, and I am surprised by that.
Love to all
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Re: the doubting vegan
Sep 03, 2000, 09:37
Excellent, a23!!! Amazing how simple social habits can be changed once one acts for oneself! I will always say not being vegan or veggie is an accident of history, a cultural/religious trait not an evolutionary step. Besides, our teeth are not designed to eat meat. And I still think meat is tasteless unless cooked with veg; if you think there is some taste then it may be the taste of tendons and blood.

It would be interesting to know which alternatives you have used to replace milk or cheese or yogurt, and which recipes.

Have you used tofu? I just adore it, although it is another victim of the GM fascists.
aa23
5 posts

Sep 03, 2000, 10:00
Milk has been easily replaced with unsweetened soya milk (though I did try rice & oat milk too), cream with Soyadream (provamel), yoghurt with yofu, but I haven't tried any of the vegan cheese stuffs.
Had some really good soya ice cream when eating out but haven't tried any of the shop bought stuff yet.
I was always wary of tofu, having eaten it sporadically years ago and finding it had the appeal of rubber. However I got some freshly made tofu for my local wholefoods shop and was most impressed. It made a wonderful substitute for paneer in Indian recipies too.
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Sep 03, 2000, 10:54
I'm getting hungry!
Summer
26 posts

Sep 03, 2000, 12:57
Hey a23, that is well and truly inspiring. I've been vegan before but didn't go the distance - although I would rather go hungry than eat modern meat/fish/poultry. I travel a lot (including abroad) and can only do what I can do but I do make an effort to not eat dairy as much as I possibly can. And yes, when that shit is not in my system, I feel much better for it. A lot of the meat substitutes going around at the moment are vegan (and GM free, so they say). Soya ice cream is delicious (as is sorbet!).
Good one.
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Sep 03, 2000, 13:34
Yep, travelling abroad involves serious difficulties if you want none of that. Still, meat-eating cultures are essentially Western/Christian and the more traditionally Christian the country is, the worse. I have to resort to Chinese shops for tofu or parcels from Japan when I don't go to the city.

I took two American mormons into class one day and people thought they were vegetarians (for being in a religious "sect") due to social ignorance and popular misconceptions of "being vegan or veg="weird","sectish" or "a penance" or "self-punishment".
Logically, they asserted eating meat is a... "God-given right".

There's the fascist Christian attitude to everything on this planet.
aa23
5 posts

Sep 03, 2000, 21:56
I haven't crossed the eating away from home hurdle yet - never mind going abroad, I'm already wondering what's the best way to survive my trip to Cornwall in October (I guess to take lots of supplies with us). And to deal with the temptation of clotted cream teas....
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Sep 03, 2000, 23:23
Aah! You lucky bugger! I think Cornwall is not the worst in the world as compared to, say, Argentina. Have you seen that Michael Palin episode where he eats meat, meat and more meat? I've never seen him more miserable in the whole series.

Cornish vegetable pasties is the answer to a good day out.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Sep 04, 2000, 19:47
This is making me hungry too. Specially the mention of Cornwall's pasties. Loads of varieties available and one of the most delicious things I've ever had the joy to shovel down my throat!
lynn
46 posts

Sep 04, 2000, 21:28
stop, you're killing me! lots of swede with lashings of black pepper! another good reason to migrate to Cornwall, if you need any persuading!
mmmmm.....
x
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index