Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
It's really gonna kick off (well....maybe)

90 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: It's really gonna kick off (well....maybe)
Oct 22, 2009, 22:55
sanshee wrote:
Thing is, some of those who are complaining about his appearance will (even though they may balk at it)automatically defend his 'democratic right' to stand for election.

I'm confused at that.

Why? I accept the right of bigots to vote and to stand for election, but I try to avoid inviting them into my home. I also don't like seeing them taking part in mainstream political debates. Why is that confusing?

sanshee wrote:
Ban the fucker altogether (screw his democratic rights I say) or don't, really.

I want to see a world where the hateful racism of the BNP is constantly opposed so that it withers and dies. Sitting down and discussing the issues of the day with them does not seem to be a step in that direction.

But I don't want to see that world so much that I'm willing to become a fascist myself. This is why we don't ban them altogether. I think everyone acknowledges that such bans run the risk of being counterproductive; driving these views underground, portraying the fascists as victims of state oppression.

sanshee wrote:
He's been interviewed on R4's 'Today' shebang quite a few times already for one!

Exactly. He's not being censored. And nor should he be.

Don't you see any difference between interviewing the BNP, scrutinising them and forcing them to justify their warped beliefs; and inviting them onto a mainstream show with high ratings to give their views on the postal strike and Afghanistan?

I believe the change in context is extremely important. It surprises me that most others don't.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index