Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
It's really gonna kick off (well....maybe)

Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

It's really gonna kick off (well....maybe)
Oct 18, 2009, 16:05
Just watching the news earlier this morning and to my utter surprise, it seems that the BBC 'controllers' are allowing Nick Griffin to appear on Question Time.

I've found it odd that on a number of occasions in past QT shows, when the subject of the BNP has been raised, I've been surprised by some comments by people of ethnic heritage in the audience, who have said that the BNP should 'have a voice', saying that it's a correct example of 'freedom of speech' etc. not to mention the amusing response to their views i.e. nobody says anything or challenges them after they've said it!

Will the show develop into an 'Easy Street' style fisticuff extravaganza?, or will NG even get in/out of the studio in one piece?
I suppose it all depends on who is on the panel with him-

If you watch the programme- does it mean you are a nazi?
(I'm taking the piss out of the Telegraph newspaper)

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/stephenhough/100004107/nick-griffin-question-time-should-you-watch/
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: It's really gonna kick off (well....maybe)
Oct 18, 2009, 21:56
The idea I think is that if they come out with the expected bigotry they will be exposed by doing so and hopefully be left looking ridiculous.

if they are left silenced there's a bit of that rebel/martyr thing at play.
so followerrs can go - 'omigod they won't let the truth come out' if they had nothing to fear they'd let this be said.

So hope the first scenario is the one that will come out.
Stevo
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Oct 18, 2009, 22:08
Oct 18, 2009, 22:05
Yeah, Griffin has looked ridiculous already on countless News interviews etc.
I'm just amazed that after all the uproar before, that they're letting him go on there-
Will the Beeb now have to choose their audience, save it turning into a screamfest?
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Oct 18, 2009, 22:36
Jim Tones wrote:
I'm just amazed that after all the uproar before, that they're letting him go on there-
Will the Beeb now have to choose their audience, save it turning into a screamfest?

Looks like it.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23756472-question-time-audience-vetted-for-anti-fascists.do
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Oct 18, 2009, 22:46
Popel Vooje wrote:
Jim Tones wrote:

Looks like it.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23756472-question-time-audience-vetted-for-anti-fascists.do

"BBC bosses fear protesters could disrupt the recording of the programme, due to take place at the Wood Lane studios on 22 October."

At least they've given everyone the info where it's taking place!
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Oct 18, 2009, 23:14
it's an odd one isn't it? shit as the BNP is they do have rights. that doesn't mean we shouldn't throw stones and drop grand pianos on them from thirteenth storey windows when they walk past but alas they do have rights.

the entertainment value of watching the idiot paint himself into a corner is surely worth running the risk of being called a nazi by the telegraph though.

i haven't heard an interview on the radio yet that hasn't ended in the interviewer decimating the interviewee with some stoopid question like (the other day on R2) on the subject of people coming to our country to find work and people that live here and are british and work.

'so you feel you have more in common with a white Polish man than a British Asian man?'

'............... yes' (in a mousey voice because he knew if he'd said 'no' he'd be betraying his partys ideals)

and so they'll always be sitting fucks...i mean ducks!

i realise the radio 2 thing isn't the exact wording (the 'yes' is though so you can take that to the bank) but i'm sure the jeremy vine show is on some i player thingamyblog somewhere
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Oct 18, 2009, 23:32
"Sunshine is the best disinfectant" -Louis D. Brandeis

He was talking about the development of public policy, but it's also applicable to the forces of hate. Rather than make them underground renegades, you allow them to speak. And then you take apart their arguments.

Free speech is a critical right. It's annoying sometimes, but it's self correcting on the larger scale. It's probably the most vital freedom we have.
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Oct 18, 2009, 23:41
hear hear mate. i completely agree with you, if these idiots got the airtime they'd be a laughing stock in months and decimated within the year.

infact i can see the day when the phone rings and no one in Nazi hq dare answer the phone incase it's radio 4 wanting them yet again for the breakfast show.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Oct 19, 2009, 00:37
Yep. You don't want to create a mystique or some sort of rebel cred with these assholes by banishing them. That only serves to make them more romantic to the eejits who are prey to that screed.

Ridiculing a jerk in public flattens them far more than if you turn them into a boogyman.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Oct 19, 2009, 01:36
I just don't think Question Time is the appropriate forum for the BNP. Inviting them to participate in a mainstream political debate, to be just one opinion among many, is to normalise the fascist voice. Which is a bloody awful thing to be doing.

Interview them, certainly. I'm not suggesting active censorship. But don't invite them to the discussion table. We know exactly where that kind of ethnic nationalism leads. It has an established track record. And when they appear in the media, that's the context they should be presented in.

Allowing them to share a platform with mainstream political figures, affording them the same time and space to air their views, preventing interruptions and treating their words with official respect...? Even these things indicate a level of acceptance of the BNP vision that should make us uncomfortable.

Have we really not learned anything when it comes to this particular ideology? It should never be normalised. The BBC have dropped the ball on this one.
Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index