Do away with the Dough!

55 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Re: Moneyless world
Jun 26, 2002, 14:28
I agree that everything being 100% state owned and not for profit would stifle innovation, as illustrated by China's rapid economic and technological expansion after free-market reform crept in there.

Also it would be a beaureacratic nightmare, which (human nature still presumably being what it is today) would result in a small number of corrupt people lining their pockets from it. Even in communist countries there was always someone riding round in a Zil limousine while the workers toiled in the factories. I'm not having a go at anyone as I think your ideals are laudable but believe any proposed framework like that is even more open to abuse than a free-market system.

Furthermore, to arrive at it, would we have a Pol Pot/Cultural Revolution period where we get to go round setting fire to people's BMWs and toasting their koi carp to help 'reeducate' them?

What interests me more is what sort of price would we at the upper end of the standard of human living (i.e. the western world) have to pay to enable everyone in the world to have:

1) Food
2) Water
3) Shelter
4) Medical Treatment
5) Education

That's where I draw the line. I don't reckon anyone has a right to a VCR. I don't care if someone else has more than me, if they've got the essentials for life I'm not bothered if they've got less than me.

Finally, how much of world poverty is the direct result of 'capitalism' and how much from failed 'communist' governments or pointless struggles between 'capitalism' and 'communism' in the third world and central america?

I'll get me coat
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index