U-Know! Forum »
Do away with the Dough!

55 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Re: Do away with the Dough!
Jun 23, 2002, 16:14
DirectAction against GM companies is very important as some things (particularly environmental problems) can't wait for a total change in society - something has to be done about it now.

The thing anti GM activists, and the Green Left, have to realise is that it is the system that creates environmental damge. Under Capitalism Profit will always come before environmental issues. This is an irreconcilable aspect of the profit system.

So any attempts to protect the environment also has to see the inevitable conclusion of removing the profit system.

The trade system (as it is now) hasn't existed for thousands of years. It is within the last 300 years or so that capitalism has developed. Before then the system was based enitirely on the ownership of land and the way people were tied to the land for life ie. Feudalism (check out something to do with Marx's theory of Historical Materialism).

I understand the need for an alternative system to be in place, that is why the world can only be changed for the better when a majority actively or passively support change.

This may be a long way off, and may not be achieved in my life time, this does not make it utopian as people need to be educated and to know what will be expected off them when the time comes.

Obviously environmental concerns can't wait 'till then and direct action will also have to see the need for greater change.

A truly better world may be a long way off, but this is preferable to Vanguardist, elitist parties attempting to seize power and impose there will from the top Down. Change can not be artificial!

Any real change has to come from the bottom up.

Yours Idealistically

MonkeyBoy

ps- Hope I don't sound as if I reside in Cloud Cuckoo Land xxx
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index