Do away with the Dough!

55 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Re: Do away with the Dough!
Jun 22, 2002, 15:31
Cheers Grufty,

I might have been be being very idealistic but to be AntiCapitalst you really need an alternative. Of course capitalism keeps the entire world economic system going.

I don't want to end up dreaming what an alternative world would be like but obviously we can't return to some simple, idyllic, agrian society. Such an idea is nonesense considering the advances in science and industrial production.

Obviously there will have to be a transitional peiod (and I don't mean in the Leninst/Trotskyite state capitalist sense). Real basic needs of survival should be free. Food should not be limited to whether someone can afford it or not. Also means of shelter and clothing should not be limited by financial ability to pay.

Money could still be of use to pay for luxuries and NonEssentials - such as a new HiFi, MobilePhones, champagne etc. Though if my Hifi broke I'd consider a replacement bloody essential.

I don't think people realise the poverty millions of people are living in around the world. Millions have never made a PhoneCall in thier lives let alone have mobiles or have InterNet access. These people should get their food and basic needs for free and I don't mean by charity. If we needed the latest consumer gadget than we would have to pay for it.

Eventually, after a period of trnsition then you should be able to go down to Tescos and help yourself to what you need. People won't work on the tills, only on stocking the shelves (who would be able to do other work as well). Even I would work one day a week stocking shelves if no one was exploiting me and I was allowed to do other things for the rest of the week. A couple of days of access to music to music production, another day doing CareWork etc.

Obviously we need to be realistic about what can be achieved right now, with much of the people as yet very unenlightened. But we shouldn't let capitalism constrain our imagination.

Viva

MonkeyBoy
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index