110 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
suave harv
suave harv
704 posts

Re: Carol Thatch
Feb 10, 2009, 12:30
Merrick wrote:

The thing is, it's that casual, socially embedded racism that lets the active racism flourish. It makes the hateful racist feel they're drawing on a widespread discontent. It also serves to make anyone not white feel like they have a major struggle to be taken as an equal. Hell, if people can denigrate your entire ethnicity and not even 'mean anything' by it, what hope for real respect?

Which is saying "no-one should say anything bad about anybody if it isn't true". And of course, you're damn right.

I knew a bloke at work who used to call white girls that went out with black men 'wog meat'. He was an out and out bigot and I firmly believe if he saw a black person in trouble he might not help out in the same way as if it were a white person. Of all the people I've known in my life, he is the one I'd call a true 'racist'.

He says 'Wog Meat' and it makes my skin crawl. My Mum says 'Wog's house' and I think 'aww blesss!'. The difference is 'intent', and that's been discussed here loads anyway.

I know other people that go down the paky shop, eat from the chinkie and say jewish meaning 'mean', who would help anyone out in distress, regardless of colour. And that, to me, is the true test. Not how un-offensive their words are, or how 'PC' they are.

I used to work on re-mods where I was the only white person there other than the carpenter. The contract was for an Indian builder, lasted a few years. We (the carpenter & I) used to rib them, we were always shouting "there's too many Indians here and not enough cowboys". The Indians ribbed the Jamacians, no-one gave a shit. From what I've seen all the up-tightness about 'words' comes from 'white lefties' anyway, (which, of course, I'm one).

And as for this thread, I can scroll through every message and see common sense in every post. OF COURSE we shouldn't generalise or use terms that are offensive. However, I think it's quite healthy too to have people say "hang on" every now and again when they see the pendulum swing a bit too far and we are reacting merely for reaction's sake.

Shit, I spent a few hours in the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam last year, that's quite an eye opener for bringing home the real horrors of racism. They've got one of those cloth stars there in a glass case that they used to make Jewish people wear so people would know who they were. Fucking chilling it is.

When I got back in the UK a mate phoned me and said "I was going to buy such and such but I couldn't afford it, call me jewish but I just couldn't".

Should I have berated him about his racist coment? No fucking way. I knew for a fact he's got nothing against any race and he's just saying something people have said to him all his life.

Yea, it's wrong, and I wouldn't say it. He's 62, I'm 42, and I'd hope most people 22 wouldn't even know it used to be used in that way.

We're doing okay. There's not one on this thread that isn't aware and right-on. So let's not worry the small stuff, some people just say stupid things. I can't see myself how stupid comments can lead to the type of stuff I saw in that museum in Amsterdam (which, let's face it, is the end result of extreme racism), but as far as OUR intent, we're all singing from the same hymn sheet at least (except I'm agnistic, but that's another thread. And I'm sure it will be).
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index