Carol Thatch

110 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: Carol Thatch
Feb 10, 2009, 11:59
Yeah, Moyles needs to go. The Jo Brand defence that she is sexist towards men is pretty weak, as it's a standard radical line to turn the tables and take things to the nth degree in the other direction. Its a radical line, its not supposed to be taken seriously, it's done to make you think about sexism. Sure, it will annoy people to do it, but it tends to only annoy the ones its aimed at (ie: Misogynists). Al Murray is trying to do the same thing with different issues.

Unfortunately, society norms being as fucked up as they are, they get taken seriously. As Jerry Sadowitz once said 'I'm a comedian, I've crossed the line that allows you to take me seriously'. Its very dodgy ground though, agreed. Same goes for radical feminism in general, many people just don't get it (including some feminists unfortunately). It's like all radical argument, and thought experiments in general, are now seen as either counter productive or part of the problem. It's a shame tbh.

Back to Moyles though, his sexism and homophobia, well, maybe I'm living in a complete fucking dream world (likely). But I'm sure only ten or so years ago he would have been out on his arse for those comments. Or am I wrong about that and I'm being hopelessly revisionist ? Honestly, I don't know anymore.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index