Topic View: Flat | Threaded
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Re: Carol Thatch
Feb 12, 2009, 16:10
stray wrote:
pooley wrote:

No, we know that when she sees a certain tennis player she thinks Gollywog. nothing else

Ah right, I get it now. You think that people who have that word in their everyday vocabulary only use it, or think it, when a certain unique individual appears afore them. We disagree. We also think to let it slide makes us culpable and racist.

pooley wrote:

No, we know that when she sees a certain tennis player she thinks Gollywog. nothing else

Pedantry, or sophistry. I'm not sure, either way, its no rational contribution considering the word is a word of derisive categorisation.

Yawn.
It is a rational contribution, i think. The point of this whole conversation is - is use of the word Golliwog always racist? does intent, malicious intent or otherwise, come into it. When it is said that someone looks like a golliwog - can you ever only be talking about the doll, or are you always talking about blacks?
I happen to think that thatch was talking about the doll. Again, i may be wrong. I don't think she said it waith racist intent. I may be wrong. I am the last person to defend a thatch, but I have to go with what i think.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index