Topic View: Flat | Threaded
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Re: Carol Thatch
Feb 12, 2009, 14:47
Squid Tempest wrote:
pooley wrote:
Personally - i think that the older generations racism is beyond curing - it is a cancer that has spread to far into their very being and the only cure is death (I am not advocating murder of racists, for the easily shocked, i am saying that their racism will end with their deaths). For some of the older generation casual racism is inbred. When my grandad was near the end in hospital he said to me "they got a black nurse looking after me - i was a bit worried, but she's alright".
His surprise that a black nurse could be anything other than inferior was amusing, sad and a lesson learned too late.
We accept racism in our elders aa they accept the bed wetting of children - they know no better and bollocking them for it is counter productive. you are going to upset your elderly relative and not change them. So, well done - to make your self feel better an old man with not a lot of idea about what he has done wrong is upset.
Ok, end of rant. for now

Did you actually read my other post? If so, you will have noticed that my other grandad did see the error of his racism late in life (he was over 70), and became stridently anti-racist in his later years. But only after my mum and I talked to him about it. This kind of ruins your argument, don't you think? To assume that older people can't think is very negative and rather age-ist. Try to think of them as human beings, it helps. And I wasn't doing it to "make myself feel better" - what an insult to my intelligence. I was doing it precisely because I think that racism is hateful and should be sought out and removed (like the cancer you yourself describe it as) whereever possible.

I did read your post, and am glad that he repented. I'm sure you will agree that he is the exception, and not the rule.But still, great.
I don't think it ruins my argument at all - It just means that one old boy, and good on him, saw the error of his ways - as a story, it's great as a statistic it is meaningless. sorry, but it is.
Ok, to add to my many other faults I am now ageist. Ok, I can lve with it if you'd like to believe that.
Try to think of them as human beings? great advice, i'll endeavour to give it a go.
I was not assuming that the elderly (or coffin dodgers, if it helps fulfill your opinion of me).
As for not doing it to make yourself feel better, I don't believe you. I don't mean to be insulting, but I'm trying to be honest. I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index